• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Possible to convert?

gpa21

Joined Jul 2, 2011
So i have always loved taking my time smoking with a stick burning side box, and appreciating the outcome that much more...
However, now im thinking i may want to switch to pellet so i dont have to monitor the smoker quite so much. Thus freeing up time to do other things in the smoking process.
My question is... has anyone converted a stick burning side box smoker to a pellet smoker? If so please share?
I love my 3 in 1 grill and really dont want to have to buy a seperate smoker when i already have one i like, but want to improve on.
TIA

mike243

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
As cheap as pellet smokers are you wouldn't save any $ buying a burner to putting your stick burner imo, $300 for a basic pellet smoker or somewhere close and some have a 5 year warranty, its nice to be able to cook with more than 1 grill/smoker

Chasdev

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 18, 2020
I felt the same way, sold off my lower end stick burner and bought a pellet spitter.
Plug and play BBQ, fill it and forget it, runs 12 hours without filling.
BUT, the flavor is gone and I mean GONE.
If you are addicted to post oak brisket, you will find yourself searching for ways to get more smoke flavor into the meat.
I've tried a Kamado and a pellet rig with no joy so I tried a Masterbuilt 560 and while not exactly the same smoke flavor profile as a stick burner, it comes dang close AND is set it and forget it like a pellet burner.

unclebubbas bbq

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 26, 2013
To add a pellet set up you are looking at $450 plus the work of trying to modify your smoker. Take a look at Zgrills, you can get a great smokers for $500

TNJAKE

Smoking Guru
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 26, 2019
Agree with all the above. Buy a pellet smoker and keep your offset...... you're gonna miss it

bill1

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 25, 2015
Adapting any cooker to a pellet machine is pretty simple. Cut a square hole and mount a temp sensor. But the adapter kits cost more than some dedicated pellet grills. E.g. if you're cramped for space, at this price you can can afford to throw out the grill and just harvest the pellet parts...
amazon" style="max-width:120px">

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.