Porterhouse Steak: Go Big? Stay Home? (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Got a craving last night for a really good steak so decided to do both: go big AND stay home. Got a 2 pound 4 ounce Porterhouse out of the freezer, defrosted it, and seasoned it up with my beef rub. Ran it for about 1:15 on low heat / extreme smoke on the Rec Tec, took it off to cool and ran the grill up to 500 degrees. Did some garlic mashed potatoes with gravy, and a nice salad then topped the steak with homemade sun dried tomatoes. chef jimmyj chef jimmyj you may want to take a look at this sir. It was REALLY good!! I got the second of the CPB shortloin roasts last week and it was enormous!! Got it broken down over the weekend and couldn't believe the size of these steaks. The first one was just shy of 22 pounds and this one was right at 30 pounds.

The steak
002.jpg

It is larger than a dinner plate and a full 2" thick. Look at the size of the loin side of this.
003.jpg

Seasoned up and onto the Rec Tec
004.jpg

The sun dried tomatoes I made not too long ago
005.jpg

Cut up a nice salad
007.jpg

After the hour and a half low temp run and cooling off before the final charge
008.jpg

The Rec Tec working it's magic
009.jpg

Steak all done and resting. Pulled at 126 IT in the thick end by the bone
010.jpg

Plated on a full sized serving platter. This is gonna be a two-fisted wrestling match to finish!!
012.jpg

Almost forgot the sliced shot. The lighting is bad but it was perfect medium rare
013.jpg

Well folks, I gave it all I had but lost the war. Food wins. About a 3 ounce piece I just could not eat. If only I hadn't gone back for the 2nd serving of taters....
014.jpg

We have been through the gravy process before so saw no sense doing it again and I sure wasn't going to bore you with pics of potatoes boiling :emoji_laughing: This definitely scratched the steak itch. Only my second of these steaks but I'm hooked. While breaking down the big roast I cut 2 massive chunks that could probably be called roasts in and of themselves. We are doing 3 Christmas dinners and those will get cooked for two of the dinners. One is 3 pounds 10 ounces and the other is 5 pounds 7 ounces. The rest are "normal" steaks with the smallest one being 1 pound 13 ounces. This was one extremely good dinner. Steak was excellent, you can't go wrong with mashed taters & gravy, the salad was a perfect accompaniment, but those tomatoes really set it over the top. First time doing this but will get done much more frequently.

This one is a wrap folks. Thanks once again for dropping in and hope to see everybody again soon. Stay safe and happy holidays to all.

Robert

wow that's a steak Robert! Fantastic looking meal, that reminds me of the movie with john candy when he had to eat the big steak grizzle and all.

Dang Robert! That's a huge steak! Almost big enough I'd be willing to put it in one of my sandwiches! Lol!! You did good man I dont think I could have gotten as far as you did! The whole meal looks great! I need to try and make my own sun dried tomatoes. They are sooo good and can be used in all kinds of things! GREAT BIG LIKE!

Dang Robert! 20oz is a Big Steak and a 2 pounder would be a Monster, Bev and I would Share! The Sundried Tomatoes look good on the Steak. I have had something similar. We are Partial to the Flavor Trifecta of Diced Sundried Tomato, Goat Cheese (Chevre) and a tiny bit of Basil Pesto, all mixed. Great on Baked Potatoes, Pasta w/Shimp and Garlic. On Burgers or Steaks! A fine looking meal you got there. There are no Steaks that size to be had around here. To get 2.25 pounds, a local steak would be over 3 inches Thick. Nearly a Roast!...JJ

wow that's a steak Robert! Fantastic looking meal, that reminds me of the movie with john candy when he had to eat the big steak grizzle and all.

Thanks Jim!! I don't believe I saw the movie but I'm not surprised. I've missed a lot of good stuff it appears.

Almost big enough I'd be willing to put it in one of my sandwiches! Lol!! You did good man I dont think I could have gotten as far as you did!

I was thinking the same thing about your sandwich. you'd need a couple BIG slices of bread though :emoji_laughing: I actually made it farther than I thought I wold bud couldn't seem to stop eating.

Holy smokes Robert I can't believe you almost finished that by yourself lol

It was a challenge. I was on a mission but failed unfortunately. At the halfway point I thought I was gonna make it, but alas fell short.

Robert

Reactions: Sowsage
You nailed it once again Robert! Very nice steak there. The gravy looks very good too!!

Appreciate it Steve. We know though that gravy is always good!!

Dang Robert! 20oz is a Big Steak and a 2 pounder would be a Monster, Bev and I would Share!

Thank you for the kind words Jimmy. Yep, it was a big 'un and I have a few more in the freezer I'll have to suffer through. Oh darn :emoji_wink:

That thing is over the top Robert! Looks amazing! 100% carousel worthy. Love the serving platter lol.

Thank you sir!! Was one of the better efforts I've put into a steak, that's for sure.

Thank you again Travis. Be nice to see it up there but I've had time in the limelight before and there's some really good stuff getting posted.

Robert

YUM! Amazing cook, Robert!

Thank you Joe!! That is some primo meat and it's only fair to give it the justice it deserves.

OMG YUM! just ruined my work keyboard - drool electrical short...

Dave...I thought you had outgrown shorting out the keyboard. Are you regressing on us? I do appreciate the accolades though and am glad you didn't electrocute yourself :emoji_astonished:

Robert

call is covid regression. I think once I have a vaccine and a whisky all will be right again.

Robert that is one beautiful Steak! Cooked perfectly, and that cut plated shot is perfection. I was immediately thinking of the John Candy movie at the same time I read the comment from smokerjim smokerjim , LOL.
The steak he had to eat was called the 96'er for 96 ounces, or 6 pounds. Amazing dinner and the fact you almost finished is impressive and a little scary at the same time, lol. Thanks and stay safe.

Awesome!!!
2 pound, 4 ounce???
That would keep Me & Mrs Bear Occupied for about 4 meals!!!
Nice Job, Robert!!
Like.

Bear

So this is the product of that shortloin. Impressive! Looks fabulous!

Like Bear, I would be eating on that for days. Now, when I was 40 years younger it would have been breakfast! LOL

Reactions: Bearcarver
Looks fantastic Robert! And of course the taters and gravy! But as you said... they'll get ya everytime lol!
Heck I think you put me into a food coma

Ryan

Heck of a steak Robert, and cooked to perfection.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky