Porterhouse Steak: Go Big? Stay Home? (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Perfection on a plate Robert, everything looks to be delicious, Like! I've never seen sun-dried maters top a steak before, nice touch. RAY

Now that' a proper STEAK meal for sure......meat and potato's perfection!

Robert that is one beautiful Steak! Cooked perfectly, and that cut plated shot is perfection.

Very much appreciate it Mike. I was happy that the presentation came out OK but happier that the steak came out as well as it did.

Awesome!!!
2 pound, 4 ounce???
That would keep Me & Mrs Bear Occupied for about 4 meals!!!

Yes sir bear. She was a bit of a monster but it managed to get devoured in one sitting. Steak does not last long around here :emoji_wink:

So this is the product of that shortloin. Impressive! Looks fabulous!

Thanks so much. I have pics of the full breakdown of the roast. If you'd like to see them, just say so and I'll post them up.

Robert

Looks fantastic Robert! And of course the taters and gravy! But as you said... they'll get ya everytime lol!
Heck I think you put me into a food coma

Thank you Ryan. Appreciate the accolades. I guess I was in good company while enjoying the food come that one brought on :emoji_laughing:

Heck of a steak Robert, and cooked to perfection.

Thanks Chris.Amazing how much of the guess work is taken out of it with a good instant read thermometer :emoji_wink:

Now that' a proper STEAK meal for sure......meat and potato's perfection!

Wiser words have never been spoken. It's all about the meat and taters...at least in my world most of the time. A deviation once in a while is good but it's hard combination to beat.

Robert

Perfection on a plate Robert, everything looks to be delicious, Like! I've never seen sun-dried maters top a steak before, nice touch.

Thanks so much Ray. I would have liked to do mushrooms but didn't have any. The weather was nasty and I didn't feel like running to the store. Looked through some of my goodies, saw the tomatoes, and thought they'd work...and they did!! Made a very nice addition to the meal.

Boy that is one good looking meal there Robert!
EXCELLENT!!

Very much appreciate it Al. I was pretty happy overall with this one. It came out well and I was a gratified carnivore at the end of it.

Robert

Beautiful plate of food. Like most others I can't get a steak like that around here to cook myself but I can get one in a restaurant!

I've had a few(very) at Doe's Eat Place after tamales and chili, fried shrimp, and broiled shrimp(scampi) appetizers when vendors would come into town and feed management where I worked. I've never been as full in my life and always had to take some home but I worked with a guy who would always finish that off along with the potatoes, salad, and bread I didn't mention earlier.

Last edited:
In my best Crocodile Dundee voice” It take a big knife for a stike like that!!” Looks amazing Robert. Playing is nice and clean too. A+

I can't think of much to say about the superb steak that hasn't been said, Robert. I'm tempted to applaud you with a "Well done," but that would just be wrong!

I've been making "sun-dried" tomatoes in my dehydrator for several years. If you start with dried tomatoes, can you share how you rehydrate them? And if you've found a way to preserve them in olive oil, I'd LOVE to know how it's done. I tried a few jars and they all got moldy in just a few weeks, even in the fridge. How do you do it?

Thanks so much. I have pics of the full breakdown of the roast. If you'd like to see them, just say so and I'll post them up.

I would love to see the breakdown pics. Thanks!

My first order of Piedmontese arrived yesterday. Can't wait to try the tri-tip.

Pure perfection!

Thank you Jim!! I otice you got your inverted food chain back on your avatar. Good move IMHO. I like that.

Awesome great looking meal and the to die for steak. In my younger days I would have done that steak in but no more.

Appreciate it Warren. As I'm getting older my appetite is starting to slack off too. Not eating like I used to, well at least not as much volume. Quality is far better though :emoji_wink:

Beautiful plate of food. Like most others I can't get a steak like that around here to cook myself but I can get one in a restaurant

Unfortunately I cannot get them around here either. I order massive roasts from Nebraska and break them down myself into steaks. Heck, even if I could get them that size locally, they still wouldn't be nearly as good quality.

Robert

Great looking meal and one helluva nice looking porch you have there! Like!

Appreciate the kind words Eddie. That''s only about 1/4 of the porch. The rest is behind me and not in the pic. When I designed and built the house I made certain that we had plenty of space out there and it's all covered so I can still play outside in bad weather if I want to.

Looks like you nailed that one. Making me want a good steak about right now.

Thanks so much. It's hard to beat a good steak, any time of day. Steak and egg breakfast is not at all uncommon for me.

In my best Crocodile Dundee voice” It take a big knife for a stike like that!!” Looks amazing Robert. Playing is nice and clean too. A+

Hee hee hee....thanks Jeff. The plating is decent for my efforts but nowhere near what you put together my friend. Undoubtedly you create the most breathtaking meals I've ever seen.

Robert

Reactions: jcam222
If you start with dried tomatoes, can you share how you rehydrate them? And if you've found a way to preserve them in olive oil, I'd LOVE to know how it's done. I tried a few jars and they all got moldy in just a few weeks, even in the fridge. How do you do it?

I start with a dozen Roma tomatoes and quarter then lengthwise. These were halved but my first time doing them. Subsequent batches were quartered. These were also done on the dehydrator. Season them heavily after slicing and put on the dehydrator...and they took forever!! I had to span it out over two days to get them dried. Next batch was also heavily seasoned but done on the convection setting in the oven at 200 degrees. That went much, much faster and achieved a far better result. Once cooled I put them in a jar and fill it with my garlic and herb infused olive oil then into the fridge. The jar shown was done about 2 months ago and still fine. The oil congeals in the fridge and looks horrible but that's ok. I just take the jar out an hour or so before I need the tomatoes and it goes back to normal looking. You can even put the jar in the microwave on low temp defrost setting for a couple minutes and the oil will come back to normal. It's actually a very simple process and I'm surprised to hear that yours mold after a short time. I've not had that problem....but now having said that I've most likely cursed myself.

Robert

I would love to see the breakdown pics. Thanks!

Decided that I'm going to do a thread on this. I'll tag you on it to make sure you see the post.

My first order of Piedmontese arrived yesterday. Can't wait to try the tri-tip.

Oh boy are you in for a treat!! Just remember to keep an eye on the IT. This is gonna cook faster than you're used to.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky