Pork2go 120gallon trailer mounted reverse flow

Discussion in 'Reverse Flow' started by pork2go, Nov 18, 2015.

1. pork2go

pork2go Fire Starter

Well I have already done my intro post, and my first double post. So now it is time to start my build thread.

The supplies I have gotten so far are as follows:
    5x8 trailer
    120gallon vertical propane tank
    Grate material

I am thinking about making my firebox 24x24x30. I was also thinking about cutting the tank at the weld and butting it up to my fire box/ warming box. This would make my tank about 35in long (if I remember that correct) and 30in Accross. My warming box would be 40Hx24x24.

I have been playing with both the reverse flow calculator and feldins. This is what I have sketched out so far
    [​IMG]
    Which if I did my math right the firebox would be large enough to support the cc and warming box.
    I have the tank full of dawn and water right now just letting it soak.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. pork2go

pork2go Fire Starter

Well I got to work on the tank a little yesterday. I flushed the tank and refilled a second time with dawn and let it sit for another few days. I have come up with a new plan from the one in the first post. I marked out my FB/CC opening and started cutting[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Then I decided to go ahead and do a little burn out. Burned it out for 7 hours
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. woodyg

woodyg Smoke Blower

I've been following yours too pork2go. Looks like your making some progress! Looks great so far. How thick is your tank? I haven't cut into mine yet.

4. pork2go

pork2go Fire Starter

Hey woodyg here's a picture of the part that I cut out for the firebox for a thickness reference. I hope this helps[​IMG]

5. woodyg

woodyg Smoke Blower

It does. Thank you pork2go!

6. pork2go

pork2go Fire Starter

Well I made a little progress yesterday between running around town. Went and picked up a sheet of 1/4 plate. This monster is 6x12, thank goodness for tractors. I also snagged a 20foot stick of flat bar 1.25x20x1/8. I started laying out the fire box and cutting it out, but I'm having trouble getting my plasma cutter running right so it's slow going.

7. pork2go

pork2go Fire Starter

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

When my plasma torch fails, it's usually the igniter tip in the torch that is in need of a change...

9. pork2go

pork2go Fire Starter

I will have a look at that, thank you Dave. I'm also going to check and make sure I am getting good dry air to it as well, worse case I can just use the torch

10. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Dry air ???? I have a "Motor Guard" filter in the air line to the plasma... AND a sight glass with a dripper on the bottom to drop out the water..... AND I have an old transmission cooler in line before the dripper to drop out heavy condensate.... AND I have a secondary compressed air storage tank ahead of that... I guess you could call it a "Triple water" filter system....

It's all overkill but after 15 years, no problems....

Here are some pics....

.. ..

.. ..

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  11. pork2go

pork2go Fire Starter

Well got a little work done on the smoker yesterday, nothing too impressive. Just got the trailer stripped and the firebox welded up and ground down. Next step will be cutting the vents and the door[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. woodyg

woodyg Smoke Blower

Looking good! Looks like you got your plasma cutter issue figured out?

13. pork2go

pork2go Fire Starter

Naaa woodyg I said screw the plasma sence the rain was coming in and I did not want my steel to rust. So I did most of it with the torch. Which cut fairly clean. Just more slag to deal with

14. pork2go

pork2go Fire Starter

Well I have a little more progress to report. Got the vents marked and cut out, firebox door cut and trimmed and the cc mocked up and tacked to the FB[​IMG]

15. pork2go

pork2go Fire Starter

16. pork2go

pork2go Fire Starter

17. pork2go

pork2go Fire Starter

18. pork2go

pork2go Fire Starter

I also swapped the 12in tires for some 15's for a little more ground clearance

19. woodyg

woodyg Smoke Blower

Starting to look like a smoker now! It's a good feeling when stuff starts coming together. Looks good!

20. pork2go

pork2go Fire Starter

Thanks woody, your firebox is looking awsome, nice and square. I did a little work yesterday. I got the tank fully welded to the fire box. I suck at welding upside down so I used the tractor to make is eayser