Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bwsmith_2000

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 9, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
Ever since I was a youngster, we were always told to cook pork to at least 180* or so. However, now I'm hearing more and more to cook roasts to pink...... 140* to 160*.
What's the latest thinking? still a fear of the trichana (sp?) worm or treat it like beef?

Bill

Most of the scare from Trichinosis has since been dispelled by the more modern techniques in raising pork. Todays methods involve stricter adhesion to prodominantely grain feeding and eliminate the danger of many conditions and diseases from the older methods of feeding such as slopping or feeding the pigs whatever was around. The environment they are raised in now is much different from the past as well. Pig stys are pretty much a thing of the past having been replaced by high-tech facilities that are more clean and sterile than many of the returants where we eat. (Sorry to burst the bubble) Together, these all add up to the Pork authority (Sorry for the pun) actually the National Pork Board officially lowering the acceptable finished temp of pork to 160*
while also stating that the Trichina will die off at 137* making the 140* mark at the lower and of scale, and the 150*, at least in my mind, a fairly safe temp. Source: www.porkboard.org

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky