Pork Steak- new to pellet grills, advice?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lovespicyfood

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
Hey Everyone,

I'm the proud owner of a Camp Chef Woodwind.

I like to make a pork steak for lunch often. On a propane grill, it's a quick affair and comes out great.

I'm new to pellet grills. To get that char, would I cook at 500 on my pellet grill? The steak isn't very thick, it's a little thicker than 1/2" and it's a bone-in slice of Pork butt I believe... Would this be a waste of time on a pellet grill considering it would cook pretty darn quick at that temp and maybe get 15 minutes of smoke at most?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I would start at your lowest setting to get some smoke on it, then remove, raise temp of your grill then char to your liking.

Reactions: 912smoker
Just curious- Where about are you at (if you feel like sharing)? Pork steaks aren't the most common cut you hear about.

Only cooking one, for me personally would depend on how it looks, or more accurately where on the butt it's a slice of. If it's a leaner piece I might go hot like that. As for whether or not it is a waste, isn't that a plus side of pellet grills? i.e. You can stop the auger and not waste any future smoke as you would charcoal/wood.

Starting very low for a while before cranking it up can give you a lot more smoke like smokerjim smokerjim said

I do pork shoulder steaks all the time. It's a little bit overkill on the pellet grill but it's still worth it. I just put mine at high smoke (220), put the probe in and pull them when it's about 145-150 IT. At that temp they still take 45 min to an hr.

You get good smoke

Corey

Just curious- Where about are you at (if you feel like sharing)? Pork steaks aren't the most common cut you hear about.

Only cooking one, for me personally would depend on how it looks, or more accurately where on the butt it's a slice of. If it's a leaner piece I might go hot like that. As for whether or not it is a waste, isn't that a plus side of pellet grills? i.e. You can stop the auger and not waste any future smoke as you would charcoal/wood.

Starting very low for a while before cranking it up can give you a lot more smoke like smokerjim smokerjim said

No worries, I'm in southern California. A "pork" steak is one of my favorites...I like the idea of getting some smoke on it and then taking it off, cranking the heat, and finishing off....

I put the steak on at 225 and smoked it for ~45-60 minutes. I then just moved the grill up to 350 degrees since I was lazy until IT reached 160.

It was ok. I could definitely taste the smoke (Pit Boss Fruit Blend) and it was moist, but I did miss the char of a high heat sear. Going forward, I'll just do it on the propane grill as it's fast, easy and delicious.
IMG_3210.JPG

Reactions: Johnny Ray
My pork steaks get the pork BUTT treatment... In my Traeger probably 275° till I know they are done, even a little chard on the edges, then I always foil pan covered with BBQ sauce or in a turkey roaster for a minimum of 2 hours at about 275°... they will do the exact same thing as a pork butt does when resting, they become almost pull apart tender and melt in your mouth... never ever chewy.

20210331_145811.jpg

20210331_145809.jpg

20210331_163251.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky