Pork Shoulder took 36 hours to smoke - Why?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
To my knowledge there has been nothing done on barbecue itself. But show the references to your wife. She is a scientist she will know how to use them in the scientific method

Last edited:
So, in relation to the BBQ stall, this is just your personal theory and you have no corroborative scientific or empirical evidence?

So, in relation to the BBQ stall, this is just your personal theory and you have no corroborative scientific or empirical evidence?

Corroborative science:

Of course the infrared heating method of food corroborates the stall. That is long settled science.

The water activity method by which all food cooks is also long settled science.

The laws of infrared thermodynamics is settled science.

The transference of infrared energy among water molecules is long settled science (also applies to evaporative cooling as well as pasteurization by sustained surface temperature)

The hysteresis of water activity in I infrared spectra is settled science. I sited the publication you can read on it.

The hysteresis on thermal gain and loss is settled science and taught in universities across the world.

The watt hours to raise one pound of water one degree F is settled science and the basis for all water activity calculations. (This is often expressed as btu capacity)

The propensity of a molecules susceptibility to accept infrared energy is long settled science published in the steam table works for years.

The amylase reaction is long settled science

The Maillard reaction is long settled science.

The propensity of proteins converted by Maillard to reject infrared wavelengths is settled in material science under oxidation tables.

The hysteresis of all wavelengths and all things is long settled science.

The thermal balance of all molecules is long settled science. In food it was put forth by Dr. Pasteurs to kill pathogens in milk.

I can go on but why you ask questions with an agenda in mind not an open mind. You know what you want to believe so have at it. Let others reading interested in learning read and maybe research a little.

Empirical evidence:

I have observed the smoker cooker with FLIR through many cooking cycles and watched the infrared exchange

I have induced the stall by balancing the input energy with the escaping energy.

I have watched the stall fall apart by interrupting the hysteresis cycle set up in the FLIR camera in real time.

I have watched the hysteresis fall apart with thermal increase. A phenomenon observed by many. But I wanted to know why.

Along with a whole host of variable controls and experimental tweaks to confirm the empirical data I was collecting.

Other than that there is nothing. Lol.

I look forward to your scientific method and empirical data that disproves the theory. If you take the time with your wife's help, you will be disappointed in the conclusion the data lead you too.

Just for the record wet bulb temperature for sterilization of pathogens is settled science. The steam tables brought forth the use of saturated atmosphere for pasteurization of medical instrument decades ago.

Now I was hoping someone would read and ask it but:

The swamp cooler theory breaks down under the laws of thermodynamics as the "cooling" should indicated heat loss. Which if true would result in the consistent lowering of the meat temperature. Which is not observed.

Therefore the only way to have a temperature maintain stead is for the meat to also be accepting energy at the rate of loss.

Which is the definition of an oscillator in hysteresis.

Unless someone is interested in explains perpetual energy function of the meat in the stall then the laws of thermo dynamics say the meat has to be accepting energy and losing energy at the exact same rate. The very definition of a tuned oscillator.

I have no agenda in mind, I'm just asking for some specific authoritative and compelling evidence that supports your theory in relation to the BBQ stall.

It's a simple question.

There are several theories as to what causes the BBQ stall, the phase change when collagen converts to gelatin. evaporative cooling, fat rendering, protein denaturing, and, of course, your personal theory.

Again, in relation to the BBQ stall, can you direct me to some specific corroborative scientific or empirical evidence that supports your theory?

I have no agenda in mind, I'm just asking for some specific authoritative and compelling evidence that supports your theory in relation to the BBQ stall.

It's a simple question.

There are several theories as to what causes the BBQ stall, the phase change when collagen converts to gelatin. evaporative cooling, fat rendering, protein denaturing, and, of course, your personal theory.

Again, in relation to the BBQ stall, can you direct me to some specific corroborative scientific or empirical evidence that supports your theory?
Baconologist....  It is time you reread your posts..... http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forums/posts/by_user/id/60750

You are being rude, disrespectful and arrogant without a purpose....  

If you want to learn, there have been many pointers as to what to look for, and where to look....  Google is a good place to start...  

You sound like a member from the past, who had nothing positive to add to the forum, only disrespectful comments.... 

highly educational just got home from working a 12 hour shift. jumped on this thread and damn.

LOL!!! The knowledge on here is great.

Thanks bbally.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky