Pork shoulder Picnic cooked rotisserie style on the Cajun Bandit.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fwismoker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
North East Indiana
Quite the interesting cook this one was. lol    For one it was the first picnic roast I've done.  I broke out the jumbo mini aka Jimmy made from a 18" JJ with a 80 quart SS pot....Well I forgot how shallow the lid was on that sucker and when I put the lid on the big bone was hitting the top of the lid.  So what I ended up doing was put a couple of skinny splits on the lip of the pot to raise the lid about 1" to increase the clearance and every 90 minutes or so I lifted the pot off and put some skinny little splits in.  So this ended up being a stick burning cook in my little jumbo mini!  That's something you don't do or see everyday, but it worked really good.
icon14.gif

Ok on to the cook, Prep wise I pulled the skin and applied Wild Thang rub (which is a savory peppery) type rub and put it on the spit paying attention to avoid the bones best I could. This was a 6 1/2 hour cook for a 10.5 lb roast, no foil.  You could see it self basting the whole time which is what makes rotisserie cooking really shine!

I put a pan on the bottom shelf to catch the drippings to mix back in.  I'll post pulled sammie pics after dinner. Thanks for looking!!

Reactions: pit 4 brains
Nice smoke Keith!

Points for the bark-a-luscious goodness!
Thanks Case, the self basting really adds to some nice bark.
Man look at that color,a thing of beauty!
Thanks b!  Mahogany is always my target color.

WOW is about all I can say!

That is a thing of beauty!

Point to you Keith!

Al
Thanks Al!   I got lucky working with the splits worked out...all in all very pleased and the roast didn't fall off the spit taking it to pulling is a good thing. lol

That is interesting, Keith. Picnic shoulder is my favorite for PP, but I just measured my clearance on my lid (again) to be sure. My current configuration can only handle a piece of meat about 9" across. Maybe...just maybe, I can squeeze a picnic down enough to make it fit as I stab the tines in...about a 9lber instead of my usual 11-13lbers. I guess I could trim it way back on the upper section and help it fit...one way or another, I wanna get a picnic spun-up like yours...that looks fantastic!!!

OK, I think it's time to search for a roti-kit for my 26.75" OTG (the beast)...then I don't have to worry much about what will fit...LOL!!! And, I'd have a decent capacity of rotisserie cookers for gatherings.

BTW, love the look of your plate, especially that creamy slaw-laden PP sandwich!!!

Eric

Keith that looks great were did you get them tines? I am still hunting for a basket going to HD in a bit. Thanks for sharing Points

Richie

points.gif

Keith that looks great were did you get them tines? I am still hunting for a basket going to HD in a bit. Thanks for sharing Points

Richie

points.gif
Thanks Richie, most of the baskets out there are garbage...I'm working on better basket system than what's currently available.   I hate the spit rod going through the middle and the screws slipping of the rod.  Plus they are just so small @ 14.5 X 7

That is interesting, Keith. Picnic shoulder is my favorite for PP, but I just measured my clearance on my lid (again) to be sure. My current configuration can only handle a piece of meat about 9" across. Maybe...just maybe, I can squeeze a picnic down enough to make it fit as I stab the tines in...about a 9lber instead of my usual 11-13lbers. I guess I could trim it way back on the upper section and help it fit...one way or another, I wanna get a picnic spun-up like yours...that looks fantastic!!!

OK, I think it's time to search for a roti-kit for my 26.75" OTG (the beast)...then I don't have to worry much about what will fit...LOL!!! And, I'd have a decent capacity of rotisserie cookers for gatherings.

BTW, love the look of your plate, especially that creamy slaw-laden PP sandwich!!!

Eric
  I'd like to get a 26.5 roti setup myself!    Definitely no problem with room in that bad boy.   

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky