Pork Shoulder for Pullin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

desert smokin

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 1, 2007
Phoenix, Az
Got a 7 3/4 lb. pork shoulder in the fridge marinating in pineapple juice. Been there about 3.5 hours and got about 3.5 more to go.
Later this evening I will coat it with mustard and rub with sea salt seasoning with a touch of brown sugar. Wrap it and refrigerate overnite and put it in the smoker about 6am.
Plan to post pics starting later tonight.
Got my needle valve and will install it tonight. Temps this weekend will be in the 106 to 110 range so I will need the valve for flow control. Will be using bbqbubba's sand in the water pan heat sink approach and hope that will help maintain 250 for this smoke.
Looking at 11 to 12 hours to get to 200. Then wrap it in foil and a towel and put it in a cooler overnite and Sunday morning pull it.
Thanks to everyone for all your informative posts. Now will see if I can put it all together and create a palatable pulled pork.

We'll be waiting!
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

Here goes the attempt to upload the first pic. Mr. Pork Shoulder is resting nicely in the fridge awaiting his moment in the smoke.
9c19283e_vbattach12937.jpg

c77c3acc_vbattach12936.jpg

i gotta ask... is the mustard thing that good or is that a carolina thing that migrated ? cause i'm an ol' texas boy. done 'er w/ mesquite,hickory,pear juice & 1/2's & hawaiian style w/ brown sugar pineapple garlic ginger etc. i just can't wrap my head around that vinegar mustard thing - i guess i gotta try it this wk.

I just covered the shoulder with yellow mustard prior to putting on the rub. I will be doing a mustard bbq sauce that uses red wine vinegar, but I will also be doing a horseradish bbq sauce that uses ketchup and white vinegar. Pretty much use vinegar of some sort in most sauces, but not the primary thrust unless its a more South Carolina vinegar sauce, which I've had once in Bishopsville SC, but to me it's more of an acquired taste. I'm also interested to see how the finishing sauce comes out because it uses a cup of vinegar. I like vinegar as an enhancer, but not if it's overpowering. I'll find out tomorrow.

i use balsamic on red meats- it gets a sweet but not too sweet w/ my fajita spice... just never tried mustard -weird from texas seeing anything (other than beer & mesquite)go on meat other than chicken.....

Desert Smokin sounds like some good eats there cant wait to see the finished results.

Gypsy I'm an old Texas boy too and I use yellow mustard on my meats it holds the rub on better and makes a slight crust. And believe it or not I don't use mesquite wood at all ( get a rope I know).

Telemetry is in place and operational. Fire is up to temp. Smoke is beginning and Mr. Pork Shoulder has entered the Chamber of Smoke. The odessey has begun. Updates to follow. Here he is as he entered the smoker
86ff4ed6_vbattach12945.jpg

Three hour update. Nice blue smoke, 248 degrees in the smoker, 127 on the meat. Big hats off to bbqbubba on the sand in the pan hint. I'm seeing great temp control. Thought I had a problem early on with run up/down. Should have run the chamber temp higher before putting shoulder in so the sand could come to temp. When sand got to temp, the control became fantastic.

Well, 14 hours after it started, here is the product before it was foiled and placed in the cooler. Got a real education in thermodynamics. Actually had too much heat due to 110 degree temps outside and it created a heat island at the top of the smoke chamber, which effectively gave false cooking temp info for the chamber. I have lots of work to do beginning with getting some type of sunbreak, either a tarp or big umbrella and finding the right wrench to take apart the gas line to install my needle valve.
The proof of how this comes out will be found tomorrow morning when I open the cooler to pull it. Afraid it may be too dry. We shall see.
441c64d2_vbattach12951.jpg

I agree it does look good. Hope it comes out nice and juicy for ya.

After 14 hours in the smoker and another 14 resting, here is the beautiful bowl of delicious pulled pork. It was still warm when I pulled it. I have some Carolina mustard and some horseradish bbq sauces I just finished. After they set, it will be sammi time.
8b1f1c41_vbattach12961.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky