Pork Sholder Bone-in Butt Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bummed

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 17, 2016
South Alabama
I ran across this marked down and I couldn't turn it down. Almost 11 lbs for $14.86, that's about $1.35 a pound.

It turned out to be a really nice piece of meat, very little fat to trim off.

I salted it down and wrapped it up and let it rest in the fridge for 24 hours. It came out glistening almost translucent.

I decided to go with Memphis Dust for the rub. I used no binder as the meat was very moist. Put it back in the fridge for 6 more hours.

Filled the wood chip tray with 1/3 Apple and 2/3 Hickory, enough to last at least 6 hours. Set the temp at 225 and it was ready to go just after 7. Nice to catch some preseason Football!

Smoke was still going strong at 1am so I tried to catch a bit of shut eye.

Got a couple hours of sleep and had to check it out. Opened the door for the first time and plugged in the temp probe it was at 174, it blew right though the stall. I started with a spritz of 2 to 1 apple juice and apple cider vinegar with a splash of JD.

Dropped the temp to 210 for 8 hours so it wouldn't be done too early. With about an hour to go I raised it to 230 and just over 17 hours total it hit 203 and it was ready to be pulled.

It was a beautiful site to behold.

Tented it in foil for an hour. The boned slid right out and it was a thing of beauty to pull it all apart. The bark was amazing, my wife couldn't stop eating it even before we made sammies!

Had to have leftovers for breakfast, it was still delicious.

Overall this turned out really good for my second smoked butt. Vacuum sealed up a lot of leftovers for future meals.

Last edited:
Great smoke and Qview!  
points1.png

Mike

Nice! You'll love having PP sandwiches from those vac sealed leftovers any time you get a craving!

Have to ask, though. Salted it down??

Thanks this is my first time freezing PP. I made 4 one pound bags in the vacuum sealer for future eats.

I salted it down by sprinkling kosher salt all around top and bottom. Saran wrapped it and left it in the fridge.

It's the way Meathead recommended so I gave it a try since my brisket turned out so good by following his method.

Thanks!

It's called dry brining. Great looking pork, I used some leftovers on potato skins it was great,pizza the endless possibilities enjoy the leftovers!Thumbs Up

Still had leftovers that I had vacuum packed in 1 lb packages. I decided to pull one out and give a pulled pork reuben a try after seeing Meathead recommend it.

Rye bread with Swiss cheese on the bottom and top with pulled pork, sauerkraut and thousand island. Put my cast iron griddle on the grill on low.

They turned out incredible with so much flavor. I highly recommend you give it a try.

It's called dry brining. Great looking pork, I used some leftovers on potato skins it was great,pizza the endless possibilities enjoy the leftovers!Thumbs Up
Yeah, trying some pork steaks that way today, as per Jeff's latest weekly suggestion. I guess my tired old brain has another wrinkle....
[emoji]128523[/emoji]

2 months later and I finally used the last of the leftovers! Decided to try a pulled pork pizza. I was anxious to try my cast iron pizza pan on this. Used a pound of pulled pork, small can of pineapple chunks, Jack Daniels BBQ sauce, red onion, Monterey and Mozerella cheese. It turned out amazing!

Time to get more Butt!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky