Pork scotch - need advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AussieSmoker91

Original poster
Jan 23, 2022
Hey guys and girls, I’ve got a pork scotch at home that’s a shade under 3.5 lbs that I want to smoke tomorrow for dinner and hopefully turn it into pulled pork. I say hopefully because I’ve made pulled pork from shoulder, but I think the scotch is a lot leaner meat so I’m not sure how I’ll go.

Just hoping someone might have some advice on temps, techniques, times, etc to get this meat done on time for dinner and hopefully falling apart.

I had to look that up just to see what a scotch is. Can't say I've ever cooked one so I'm no help, but I did learn a new word.

There's a pretty neat YouTube video where the scotch is pan fried with garlic and herbs (rosemary, sage). Don't know if this cut of pork meat is available in USA. Did some searching and it looks pretty yummy with lots of marbling. Interesting how we learn new things in this forum.

Reactions: AussieSmoker91
I had to look that up just to see what a scotch is. Can't say I've ever cooked one so I'm no help, but I did learn a new word.

Whip, is the scotch a cut that you know but by a different name? If it’s known by a different name in the US then I might have better luck finding some recipes or YouTube videos if I search by what you guys call it.

P
Whip, is the scotch a cut that you know but by a different name? If it’s known by a different name in the US then I might have better luck finding some recipes or YouTube videos if I search by what you guys call it.
Pork scotch comes from the pork collar butt

I’ve done a bit of reading in the meantime as well and most sources say pork scotch is just another name for pork collar or pork neck. I guess I’ll smoke it at about 275F until it hits the stall then wrap it if I need to for time constraints, otherwise leave it unwrapped. The other option is to smoke it like I did my last pork shoulder where once it stalled, I put it in a tray with apple cider, wrapped it in foil and put it back in the smoker. Not sure which of those two methods to use…

I’ve done a bit of reading in the meantime as well and most sources say pork scotch is just another name for pork collar or pork neck. I guess I’ll smoke it at about 275F until it hits the stall then wrap it if I need to for time constraints, otherwise leave it unwrapped. The other option is to smoke it like I did my last pork shoulder where once it stalled, I put it in a tray with apple cider, wrapped it in foil and put it back in the smoker. Not sure which of those two methods to use…
Either option will work fine

Reactions: AussieSmoker91
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky