Pork Roll Sammies & Desserts for my Texas Friends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Pork Roll Sammies & Desserts for my Texas Friends

Mrs Bear & I were blessed last week with a visit from my Texas Friends, Gary S, and his Lovely Wife Bobbie.
We knew ahead of time they were going to try to get here, but we weren’t sure what day & time, so we planned to make something that wouldn’t take days to thaw.
I also wanted it to be something they never had, because they don’t live in this area.
We thought about Scrapple, but that takes too long to make enough for 4 people.
We thought about Deerburgers, but even though we think they are more Tasty than regular Beef Burgers, it’s not enough difference to be unique.

So we decided on Pork Roll Sammies on the grill, because they thaw pretty fast, and I can make enough for 4 on my grill, even with 2 slices per Sammy.

So I made the 8 little cuts around the perimeter while they were still stacked together, and then to the Grill we went.
It didn’t take long for them to get some nice grill marks and they heated up fast, because they were pretty thin.
They were all consumed, except there were 2 Sammies left for me for the Next Day!!!

Then Mrs Bear got out her Specialty of “Blueberry Zucchini Bread” and a new one she’s been trying “Shoo Fly Pie” (A Pennsylvania Dutch Specialty).
Mrs Bear thought the Shoo Fly Pie was a little Dry, but everybody else seemed to think it was Great.

We gave them a quick tour of the house & gabbed a good while, and it seemed like they were here for a lot less time than they were here. I guess time really does fly when you’re having fun!!

Enjoy the few Pics I managed to sneak in.

Bear

Here's 16 slices of Pork Roll ready for the Grill. If you look close you'll see the 8 cuts I put in each slice. Those cuts will keep them from curling up on the Grill:
IMG_3837.jpg

After the First Flip:
IMG_3838.jpg

After the Second Flip, and ready to remove & bring in:
IMG_3839.jpg

Here I snuck a Quick Pic of Gary's slice of Shoo Fly Pie:
IMG_3840.jpg

One of Mrs Bear's Specialties---"Blueberry Zucchini Bread" (Step by Step Coming Soon):
IMG_3841.jpg

Last edited:
We had a great time and you are right, time really flew. Loved the Pork Roll and the deserts were amazing, but the best part was visiting with my friend.
Just an FYI for everyone else. If you are in Bears neck of the woods give him a heads up, let him know when you will be coming by, and be prepared for some great food and hospitality.

Gary

Nice! I haven't had real Pork Roll since the early 90's. Nothing like it, though many people have said theirs is "Just like Taylors" I respectfully disagreed (in my mind). As far as Zucchini Bread, that looks perfect. I use diced mango in mine. Never thought of blueberries. Looking forward to another Bear post about it. Glad you all had a good time.

If you are in Bears neck of the woods give him a heads up, let him know when you will be coming by, and be prepared for some great food and hospitality.
Watch out...he may have to start taking reservations. :emoji_wink:

Bear, That is awesome that Gary stopped by and you certainly showed him some good Pa. hospitality. I can't wait to see the BB zuke recipe.

We had a great time and you are right, time really flew. Loved the Pork Roll and the deserts were amazing, but the best part was visiting with my friend.
Just an FYI for everyone else. If you are in Bears neck of the woods give him a heads up, let him know when you will be coming by, and be prepared for some great food and hospitality.

Gary

Thank You Gary!!
I have to also post the first of the Tasty Flounder Fillets you were so nice to bring me!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

pork roll or Taylor Ham?
:emoji_wink:

Yes!
In PA we aren't involved in that NJ discussion.
The only difference we see is between "Taylor" Pork Roll and "Case" Pork Roll.
I love them both.

Bear

Nice! I haven't had real Pork Roll since the early 90's. Nothing like it, though many people have said theirs is "Just like Taylors" I respectfully disagreed (in my mind). As far as Zucchini Bread, that looks perfect. I use diced mango in mine. Never thought of blueberries. Looking forward to another Bear post about it. Glad you all had a good time.

Watch out...he may have to start taking reservations. :emoji_wink:

Thanks a Bunch, Doc!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Great looking meal!
You sure made Gary feel at home!!
I guess you'll have to swing down to Texas for some of his famous brisket!!
Al

Pork roll on the grill is my favorite way to eat it . Looks fantastic . Wife used to use the last of the Banana bread / zuke bread to make french toast . I'll be watchin for the bread post also .

Bear, That is awesome that Gary stopped by and you certainly showed him some good Pa. hospitality. I can't wait to see the BB zuke recipe.

Thank You CM!!!
I'm working on the recipe Post today---Probably post it tomorrow morning.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Great looking meal!
You sure made Gary feel at home!!
I guess you'll have to swing down to Texas for some of his famous brisket!!
Al

Thank You Al !!
We had a Great time!
I wish I could, but any more than 10 miles is too much travel for me any more.
Sure would love some of that Brisket !!
And Thanks for the Like, Al.

Bear

Pork roll on the grill is my favorite way to eat it . Looks fantastic . Wife used to use the last of the Banana bread / zuke bread to make french toast . I'll be watchin for the bread post also .

Thank You Rich!!
Yup---It picks up a little extra, even on the Gas Grill. The Grill Marks add flavor.
The Blueberry Zucchini Bread is now in my Step by Step Index (Desserts).

Bear

looks good bear, nothing like sharing a meal with good company, I never had pork roll until I married my wife, she's originally from jersey and loves the stuff, showed her the picture of your grilled pork roll and she said how good it looked and that she never had it grilled so I see that in the really near future.

looks good bear, nothing like sharing a meal with good company, I never had pork roll until I married my wife, she's originally from jersey and loves the stuff, showed her the picture of your grilled pork roll and she said how good it looked and that she never had it grilled so I see that in the really near future.

Thank You Jim!!
Yup, She'll love it!
If even my Gas Grill adds Flavor, I imagine Charcoal will really add some!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Mighty neighborly of you Bear, that pork roll looks really inviting also.

Point for sure
Chris

I wish I could, but any more than 10 miles is too much travel for me any more.
Sure would love some of that Brisket !!
And Thanks for the Like, Al.

Bear

At ten miles a day it would take you about 4.5 years to get there. Plenty of drooling time thinking about a real Texas brisket. :emoji_wink::emoji_laughing:

Mighty neighborly of you Bear, that pork roll looks really inviting also.

Point for sure
Chris

At ten miles a day it would take you about 4.5 years to get there. Plenty of drooling time thinking about a real Texas brisket. :emoji_wink::emoji_laughing:

Thank You Chris!!
Good Point on the Drooling Time!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Love Pork Roll.
Found some in a large supermarket in Austin 2 years ago.

Nice surprise to find it out there.

Love Pork Roll.
Found some in a large supermarket in Austin 2 years ago.

Nice surprise to find it out there.

That's Great, Bill !!
Do they have it on a regular basis?
Is it the precut slices in a box, or the Whole Roll in a Cloth bag?

The ones we used this time came 8 slices shrunk in plastic in a box.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky