PORK RIND PELLETS FROM SCRATCH.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Questions for both of the two posts above mine.

dcarch Baked: Did you just lay them out flat in long skinny strips? Did you put them right on a pan, foil, or parchment paper? Any oil or seasoning before baking? Temp & process details please.

themule69 fried: You boiled and dehydrated different batches. Did one work better then the other?

Thanks! Looks great!

Last edited:
Latin Americans call them chicharrones. In Canada, they’re scrunchions. In the US, they’re cracklings. In Britain, they’re pork scratchings. Most Asian countries also have their own form. Wherever you are, though, the pork rind is essentially the same save for whatever seasonings are applied: slices of the skin fried in its own fat as it renders out.

You can Google recipes of the above to find flavor profiles that you like.

Most of pork rind recipes call for deep frying in oil or fat. That of course makes it unwise to enjoy these amazing treats too often.

However, if you bake pork rind, all the fat will be rendered out and there is no oil.

Basically the baking method is no mystery, the steps are the same as detailed by Themule69. After the rind has been totally 100% dehydrated, preheat oven to 400 F and bake. You may need to play with your oven thermostat setting because each oven is different. They are never accurate.

A convection oven works the best.

To get the curvy spiral shape, which is great for a party, after the skins have been cooked, roll the sheets up and refrigerate. In a few hours, slice the rolls then dehydrate.

dcarch

I have followed this method a few times and works like a charm.

Just a summery of already laid out method:

Acquire the skin
Boil for about 30-60 min. Really depends on how much fat on how long. If you over boil the skin becomes very soft and can fall apart.
Remove from water to allow to cool slightly.
Scrape the fat off the skin.
Cut into desired size and shape. Remember they will get larger when fried.
Place in dehydrator until they are fully dehydrated. Will take several hours. How long depends on moisture content of skin and humidity in the room.

Ok now you are like me and don't have a dehydrator......
I set my oven on its lowest setting at 170 and place the cleaned and cut skin on cake cooling racks on sheet trays and place in the oven and allow it to dry out till they are fully dried out. It will take several hours. Save the fat for later use and I place mine into ziplock bags and freeze them until I need them.

When I go the fry mine I use 350 degree oil. I will place a few in the pot at a time. When done I place on some paper towel to allow to drain slightly then toss with what seasoning I desire.

Hope this helps clear things up a bit.....

Questions for both of the two posts above mine.

dcarch Baked: Did you just lay them out flat in long skinny strips? Did you put them right on a pan, foil, or parchment paper? Any oil or seasoning before baking? Temp & process details please.

themule69 fried: You boiled and dehydrated different batches. Did one work better then the other?

Thanks! Looks great!
I have played with a few differant ways. The results were about the same every time.

Happy smoken.

David

Latin Americans call them chicharrones. In Canada, they’re scrunchions. In the US, they’re cracklings. In Britain, they’re pork scratchings. Most Asian countries also have their own form. Wherever you are, though, the pork rind is essentially the same save for whatever seasonings are applied: slices of the skin fried in its own fat as it renders out.

You can Google recipes of the above to find flavor profiles that you like.

Most of pork rind recipes call for deep frying in oil or fat. That of course makes it unwise to enjoy these amazing treats too often.

However, if you bake pork rind, all the fat will be rendered out and there is no oil.

Basically the baking method is no mystery, the steps are the same as detailed by Themule69. After the rind has been totally 100% dehydrated, preheat oven to 400 F and bake. You may need to play with your oven thermostat setting because each oven is different. They are never accurate.

A convection oven works the best.

To get the curvy spiral shape, which is great for a party, after the skins have been cooked, roll the sheets up and refrigerate. In a few hours, slice the rolls then dehydrate.

dcarch
I will have to try the baked some time.

Happy smoken.

David

I set my convection oven at 400F.

In about one or two minutes, they pop. So don't walk away.

dcarch

Well I over boiled it tonight, went about an hour and a half and the skin fell apart lol. Good thing I have more bellies with skin still on. I am gonna get this down

Well I over boiled it tonight, went about an hour and a half and the skin fell apart lol. Good thing I have more bellies with skin still on. I am gonna get this down
Cook it more another hour.

Animal skin makes wonderful hide glue for your woodshop. 
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

dcarch

I did my first batch this week.  I boiled mine for 2 hrs and they were extremely delicate when I was pulling them out of the water.  I ran out of time Sunday evening and didn't get back to them until last night (Wednesday).  So, they sat spread out on a rack in the frig for 3 days.  The skin had really started to tighten up and dry out some.  The fat came right off with a spoon like David said at that point.  I was not delicate with them either and didn't have a single tear.  May be a way to save some that tender up too quickly while being boiled.

I fried the first few at about 360 degrees.  They puffed up fine and looked pretty but they were a little tough, not crispy.  Then I cranked the heat up a little more like David said and they turned out incredible!  I used canola oil which has a higher flash point than most oils.  I was getting the best results when the oil was 380 and above.

I kind of held them under the oil with my spider until the bubbling rapidly decreased.  Then onto a wire rack to drain the oil.  After I fried about a dozen or so, I put them in a small paper sack with a teaspoon of Big Bull's brisket rub and shook them around.  Turned out really good.  I can see I need to find some more skins as even the wife liked them.  Thanks Mule.

I fried the first few at about 360 degrees.  They puffed up fine and looked pretty but they were a little tough, not crispy.  Then I cranked the heat up a little more like David said and they turned out incredible!  I used canola oil which has a higher flash point than most oils.  I was getting the best results when the oil was 380 and above.

I kind of held them under the oil with my spider until the bubbling rapidly decreased.  Then onto a wire rack to drain the oil.  After I fried about a dozen or so, I put them in a small paper sack with a teaspoon of Big Bull's brisket rub and shook them around.  Turned out really good.  I can see I need to find some more skins as even the wife liked them.  Thanks Mule.

I did my first batch this week.  I boiled mine for 2 hrs and they were extremely delicate when I was pulling them out of the water.  I ran out of time Sunday evening and didn't get back to them until last night (Wednesday).  So, they sat spread out on a rack in the frig for 3 days.  The skin had really started to tighten up and dry out some.  The fat came right off with a spoon like David said at that point.  I was not delicate with them either and didn't have a single tear.  May be a way to save some that tender up too quickly while being boiled.
Glad you gave it a try. I cure a lot of bacon so I always have skins to work with.

Happy smoken.

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky