Pork Ribs Danger Zone

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brokentoys

Original poster
Jun 4, 2023
Another grill dying story - I’m hoping someone can verify safety, specifically ribs. Started ribs on a traeger grill set to 225. Went back to check after 30 mins and temp had dropped to 150. I got it back up to 225 and had to leave unattended to run next door. I worked on sauces for a couple of hours and came back to “err” and the grill was warm, cool enough to touch- as were the ribs. Visually, the rub was still fresh looking with a couple of spots beginning to blacken. Found out the pellets were out( new to using and didn’t realize pellets wouldn’t all fall to inside. Kicking my self, so go easy) refilled and raised temp to 250. I Checked the temp on the ribs and got 116. This is in addition to a 30 minute span out of the fridge before cooking. Reading other threads about intact vs ground meats and hoping this can be saved. Wanted to know if anyone can advise for pork ribs specifically, wouldn’t worry like this for red meat. Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Finish the ribs, they are just fine. The meat is intact & not subject to the 40-140 rule. You got the out side surface of the ribs well above 165 before the pellets went out, so you are good to go.
Al

Reactions: dr k and JLeonard
Yup you're fine but time to learn more about how your smoker works and how to ensure it continues to operate. Hint: get a reporting thermometer to monitor the grate temp via your phone.

Independent multiple probe therm with Pit probe set to a range like 145-290 will eliminate you walking out to a cold smoker or one on fire from the alert you get when the temp is out of range.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky