Pork prices...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oh I do when I can.

Game meat is all my doing due to regs here.

I buy beef and pork from local farms and butcher to save on prices if needed. Normally the savings is not worth my time (also I'm garbage at cutting 🤣). But I might need to look into buying "raw" meat further.
I think we all here need to buckle up, because what’s coming will stun us all. What I’m saying is just everyone needs to know how to make a live animal into supper. It’s the trade of all trades. My tape worm needs fed,,,,,,, a lot.

Culinary Otter Culinary Otter ; There is only 1 crab picking house left on the gulf coast as far as I know and it is in Bayou LaBatre, Alabama. When I buy crab meat, I try to source it from this picking house. Most of the crabs are sent to Venezuela, picked, and shipped back to the US. The sellers can still print Caught in the U.S.A. on the package....but you have to look close- it will say picked in Venezuela in small print somewhere on the package. Or Bayou LaBatre, Alabama... expect to pay more if it was actually picked here in the U.S.A.

I think we all here need to buckle up, because what’s coming will stun us all. What I’m saying is just everyone needs to know how to make a live animal into supper. It’s the trade of all trades. My tape worm needs fed,,,,,,, a lot.
True Words Brother.......
Very off topic, but I follow macro-finance daily and what I see coming ain't good for the average Joe. Inflation is just getting started......

I think we all here need to buckle up, because what’s coming will stun us all.
At this point I'm wondering if we've been separated at birth 🤣

Have suggested what you're saying for a number of years, changed careers because of it. Fiancee loves me because she'd never think of it. Everyone else thinks I'm insane.

I won't be stunned, but I'm hoping what's coming comes after it matters to me.

It's why I think I got into this meat game too late. Glad I can strip and butcher an animal, not sure if I want to be around when it comes to that tho.

Lol domestic. If I buy "Alberta" beef from a major chain it goes from (literally) a pasture 50 feet away from my house (could measure and post pics if you'd like) to a centralized slaughter house in Texas, then shipped back to my local grocery store for 8x the price because "supply chain".

The western world grocery store is both a miracle and a curse, but "domestic" food production was eroded in the post-war era, and obliterated in the 80s when we searched for a solution to drive down prices.

Foreign countries have been involved in your domestic food supply since the Cold War, likely before.
I was not talking about private companies engaging in foreign commerce. I'm talking about foreign companies having ownership of farm land and processors located on US soil. And when it's a country such as China, the government is in complete control of said companies.

I was not talking about private companies engaging in foreign commerce. I'm talking about foreign companies having ownership of farm land and processors located on US soil. And when it's a country such as China, the government is in complete control of said companies.
That's absolutely fair and I agree. However it's still just a mess.

I recently lost my hunting ground because someone from another province (state) had money and bought out the surrounding land.

If we can't protect our own interests against ourselves, how on earth can we protect it from outside forces?

Reactions: JLeonard and DougE
True Words Brother.......
Very off topic, but I follow macro-finance daily and what I see coming ain't good for the average Joe. Inflation is just getting started......
Being aware is 90% of it. We are going to see a crushing market in 2024, buckle up. At this point I just want to keep my family fed. It’s going to get real my friend.

No foreign country whether friend or foe should be allowed to be involved in any area of our domestic food production.
For the record, I absolutely don't disagree with you, and I appreciate your point.

(lol if I could stop shipments of poutine south of the border I would) 🤣

I just think in the global market we now live in, cutting off countries ad hoc, is the same as slicing an artery blindly.

Unfortunately, the toothpastes has left the tube. If you can figure out a way to get it back there, please let me know.

Reactions: JLeonard
Doesn't mean I disagree with what has been posted just don't want to see it go to far. I agree raise your own meat or try to buy it from a place nearby that raises them.
I don’t want to see politics take a front stage here on this forum for sure, however as the the days go along and as things continue to change, we have to acknowledge that in the end it is politics that drive and shape policy that effects us all. Once that is understood, then it’s obviously going to be the center of some discussion. For the most part we are all adults here, so some discussion is healthy. That said, you admins and mods better buckle up because I believe that this year , specifically, will be a very politically charged year, mostly in terms of policy. That policy will effect us all world wide from within the USA. People are going to deal with that down side and the sides will fall on political divides. I don’t want your jobs, but people will vent and more so as we get into summer. At some point common sense has to prevail over politics. It’s not left or right politically, but more boots on the ground living it reality that should be discussed, along with a big dose of common sense. Peace out.

I don’t want to see politics take a front stage here on this forum for sure, however as the the days go along and as things continue to change, we have to acknowledge that in the end it is politics that drive and shape policy that effects us all. Once that is understood, then it’s obviously going to be the center of some discussion. For the most part we are all adults here, so some discussion is healthy. That said, you admins and mods better buckle up because I believe that this year , specifically, will be a very politically charged year, mostly in terms of policy. That policy will effect us all world wide from within the USA. People are going to deal with that down side and the sides will fall on political divides. I don’t want your jobs, but people will vent and more so as we get into summer. At some point common sense has to prevail over politics. It’s not left or right politically, but more boots on the ground living it reality that should be discussed, along with a big dose of common sense. Peace out.
I won't get into what I think because it would more than likely end up with me banning myself lol. With that said many people come to SMF to get away from the politics of the world and just chill and talk about cooking and such.
Jeff has said no politics and since he owns the site it's his rules and unless he tells us to change them we are charged with enforcing them

I don't disagree with anything that has been said here tonight either. And I expect it to be a rough year ahead. But politics has a way of dividing people. We are here to help people learn the basics and safe way of curing meats... to share our smokes and experiences, good and bad. Maybe even some enabling going on... pretty good chance of that lol! But this site will stay a place we can all come together... give us a break from the rest of what's going on in this world.

Had a bit of a squirrel moment in the middle of all that typing... my 1 1/2 year old toddler puppy was sleeping and slid right off the couch! :emoji_laughing: Yes, I laughed at her!

Ryan

I won't get into what I think because it would more than likely end up with me banning myself lol. With that said many people come to SMF to get away from the politics of the world and just chill and talk about cooking and such.
Jeff has said no politics and since he owns the site it's his rules and unless he tells us to change them we are charged with enforcing them
I completely agree with what you have said and with what Jeff has set down. That said, people are going to grovel over cost of living here, it’s a real and becoming a more real topic. I’m not sure how the forum deals with it, probably just like you currently are, and I agree with that, but the topics are going to keep coming because people come here to ask about everything from smoke, sausage, curing, gout, and arthritis. So it’s natural that things like inflation, cost of living, cost of pork, beef , chicken are all going to be topics, and because we are not children, the most obvious question of exactly why these things are happening is going to be a growing theme. Hell of a balance to try to strike for admins and mods. I’ll do my part to help as a member, but this will be a growing topic in my estimation.

Solid answer and I will absolutely respect that. Will 100% remove myself from this thread.

However the issue I see, is that back in the mid 2010's it was easy to separate meat & state.

Today, less so. Maybe I'm off base but I feel like in the next few years it will be impossible to separate political discussion from a meat forum.

Solid answer and I will absolutely respect that. Will 100% remove myself from this thread.

However the issue I see, is that back in the mid 2010's it was easy to separate meat & state.

Today, less so. Maybe I'm off base but I feel like in the next few years it will be impossible to separate political discussion from a meat forum.
You are 100% correct. Do not separate yourself. We all need to be respectful and understand the rules where we play, but never stop being you. If you stop and think just a minute before typing, you can most always get your point across without crossing political lines, this is necessary. Lots of like minded folks here but we don’t come here to talk politics, talk more solutions within you current condition, and that need not include your political affiliation or a candidate you support. We are all living this reality, let’s just collectively come up with solutions that helps us and could help others. Screw the politicians. Let’s just help each other live and live better lives despite those politicians.

Reactions: Culinary Otter
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky