Pork on "The Hog" with qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dockman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Climax Springs, Mo
Putting the new smoker to good use today. This is my first real cook on The Hog. Started my fire and then got the 7 lb pork loin and 8 slabs of baby backs prepped. Injected the loin with a 50/50 mix of apple juice and sweet baby ray's give it a nice coat of mustard before adding the rub. Smoker is setting on a decent temp of 260 looking to get it down to 250.

u9a7aqu5.jpg

tu9ydu2u.jpg

hegaseze.jpg

pyrysune.jpg

bu7azanu.jpg

a7uhy8u9.jpg

Having a hard time controlling smoke due to my wood being to large. Never the less meat is on The Hog at 2:00 pm. Tons of room on this bad boy!

vujaqe8y.jpg

Loin is eatable! Very tender and juicy but has a small fuel taste. I was afraid of that since I was struggling with to much smoke.

nubyqu3e.jpg

7a7evy2a.jpg

ume3uvyq.jpg

Ribs are real good! By the way I did not care for loin but the family liked it. The wife is very hard to please and she give me a thumbs up.

e3ybabe9.jpg

u3ubuha9.jpg

gasyvenu.jpg

Not sure where my brain was at yesterday while dealing with my logs being to big! While laying in bed this morning thinking about whether smaller logs were going to be easier to control smoke I remembered having a splitting maw in the shed. So I had to get up split some wood and test it. Smaller wood was still to heavy of smoke. I started playing with the air flow and think I have it under control now. Like all new smokers there is a learning curve.

Not sure where my brain was at yesterday while dealing with my logs being to big! While laying in bed this morning thinking about whether smaller logs were going to be easier to control smoke I remembered having a splitting maw in the shed. So I had to get up split some wood and test it. Smaller wood was still to heavy of smoke. I started playing with the air flow and think I have it under control now. Like all new smokers there is a learning curve.
But now you have the perfect reason for another cookin! No one could doubt your need to master your pit. A nice new pit like that deserves to be mastered!

Last edited:
Dang nab it that looks great - very nice first smoke!!!!

Keep eye on that beer sign would look nice in my man cave LOL

Keep those pics coming - good post

DS

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky