Pork Maple Breakfast Sausage Time....Home-made little sizzlers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
So...when loading up all the processed venison we made recently, I ran across a pork loin in the freezer that needs to be used. Since I have left-over very coarse ground pork fat frozen from processing day, I'm pulling it all out to make some maple breakfast sausage. I have real maple syrup on hand from my buddy in New York, So I'm good to go! I also picked up another pork loin on the final day of the sale to add to the batch. Should have ~15# pork plus 5~7# fat.

Plan is to make the bulk sausage, then bag 3/4 of it in 1# plastic bags for patties. The rest of it will be made into little 3" caseless links pushed through a 5/8" tube on the stuffer. I'll put these in bags then freeze them overnight to let the links get hard prior to vacuum sealing.

If you've never made caseless links, it's easy, just push out ~3" through the tube then cut with a butter knife. Place on wax paper as you go. Easier with 2 people, but I can manage by myself.

Last edited:
My mistake, I should have said 'bags'. I'm not casing any of this sausage. I use the white 1# game bags. I freeze these to make patties.

No problem I was just playing with the idea of making some myself
I usually just put it in 1 lb bags also.

I find that if you mix the meat paste right and extract the protiens, and use a binder (I use NFDM), you really don't need the casing to get the sausage to hold it's shape. Especially if you freeze the links then vac. seal. the links will stay together upon cooking later.

Looking forward to the results! You inspire me. I’ve got a bag of sheep casings in the fridge. I’m thinking goose and pork sage breakfast sausage this weekend.

I've made pork breakfast patties with maple in the mix. I like the result but I learned to fry them at a lower temperature because the sugar has a tendency to scorch.

Well, I finished the sausage today but I'm having problems uploading from my camera. I think maybe the cord might have issues. Application won't open pictures on camera.

"Technical difficulties"...LOL! Let me see what I can do.

Figured it out...needed to download an update for my camera program...

The seasoning pack for 25# of sausage.
DSC02710.JPG

I'm only making 20# of sausage so I weighed out what I needed...
DSC02712.JPG

Coarse grind with seasoning mixed in, back in the freezer to chill for 2nd grind through 4.5mm plate.
DSC02714.JPG

Real Maple syrup measured out along with NFDM powder. I use anywhere from 1.5%~3% NFDM; I used 3% this go around for a good bind with the links. When I pack it all in plastic 1# bags I usually use 1.5%.

DSC02715.JPG

The first links out of the stuffer tube...
DSC02716.JPG

I usually have a helper when making these caseless links. No help today so I had to turn the stuffer crank and catch the links. I used the 5/8" stuffer tube. Usually use a butter knife to cut the links but figured out I could just raise my hand up and break it off with my hand. Worked pretty well....saved some time not having to constantly pick up the butter knife just not perfect cut ends, a knife will do it better.

On wax paper and inda freezer overnight to harded for vac. sealing. The links run 3~4" long...good enough for me! Probably gonna do 10~12 per bag.
DSC02717.JPG

No idea how many links I have, but I made 4 trays; roughly 9~10# of little links. Also bagged 10# for patties. These probably will not last long! Time to make some pancakes and fry some of these up along side!

Last edited:
One tip: pack the stuffer good and tight so no air pockets. I use a rubber spatula. When making the links, if you get an air pocket that deforms the link, just set it aside and pass it back through the stuffer next time you reload. No biggie...

Do you care to share your recipe for the maple sausage?
It looks like a very tasty breakfast. Will have to try the casing less links.

One tip: pack the stuffer good and tight so no air pockets. I use a rubber spatula. When making the links, if you get an air pocket that deforms the link, just set it aside and pass it back through the stuffer next time you reload. No biggie...

This is a mistake I’ve made in the past. Cruising through a length of casing and suddenly “burp!!!”.

This is a mistake I’ve made in the past. Cruising through a length of casing and suddenly “burp!!!”.
not a problem with casing IMO...little back pressure on the sausage right at the end of the stuffer horn and the air jumps back to the tube towards the stuffer. Takes practice with the correct amount of pressure though if you will be making links-especially short links.

Wow, those look great. and thanks for the caseless links photo's.Im gonna file that idea for sure.

Do you care to share your recipe for the maple sausage?
It looks like a very tasty breakfast. Will have to try the casing less links.
No problem...it's a favorite around here. We use this recipe for 40%goose/60%pork for breakfasts @ the camps. Really good...

Pork Maple Breakfast Sausage

25# Pork 80/20 ~75/25

Seasonings:
1.4% salt (126g. Non-Iodized salt + 34g. MSG)
7g. dried parsley flakes
6~8g. rubbed sage(depending on your tastes)
34g. cracked black pepper
12g. dried thyme leaves
16g. crushed red pepper flakes
12g. ground coriander seed

1 1/4~1 1/2 cups dark maple syrup (depends on sugar content)
300g. NFDM
2 cups ice water

Coarse grind through 1/2 or 3/4" plate. Combine seasoning with 1c. ice water. Mix with coarse grind. set in freezer to chill. Once chilled, grind through 4.5mm plate. Add syrup, remaining water and NFDM to fine grind. Mix until meat paste is tacky...at least 2 minutes. Return to freezer to clean up and set up stuffer with 1/2" or 5/8" stuffer tube. Pull meat paste out and fry test. Check sugar level in syrup. Adjust as needed. Load stuffer and make 3~4" links. Set links on wax paper and put in freezer to harden. Wait at least 3~4 hours to Vac. seal links.

Reactions: archeryrob
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky