Pit Boss Sportsman 1100 cold smoke questions & possible mods if needed.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DieselTech

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 28, 2024
Kansas
Guys & gals I recently ordered a Pit Boss Sportsman 1100 grill. I'm hoping to do some cold smoking this winter.

Cheeses & such, maybe some bacon if somebody can help me achieve that goal.

I also bought the side smoker attachment because I've heard they run 25-35°f cooler than grill/pit Temps.

I bought 4 smoker tubes, 2-6"tubes, 2-12" tubes & the 5"&8" maze smoker tray. OK it seems I always hear of the smoker trays or tubes going out because the lack of air flow/draft.

So my question is: would the Thermoworks billows be viable as a draft/air flow aid.
1: to help keep smoker tubes & trays burning
2: to help remove smoke so it don't get stale & bitter.

I'm new to all this stuff & I hear the bellows won't work on a pellet grill. I think for cold smoking & a draft aid it will work.

I also think it could be useful for hot smoking too, with the right engineering & calculations.

What is all you guys & gals thoughts on this.

Thanks any & all help & feedback welcomed.
1000000138.jpg
1000000139.jpg

Attachments

• 1000000140.jpg
    1000000140.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 3
My other thought was, the billows puts out 46cfm air at wide open. So with the damper & a ball valve a person could control the cfm output.

The damper has 16 settings from open to fully closed. So I think each setting closed would reduce cfm airflow by 2.875 cfm. So if the billows is only open to the 1st setting, it should have around 2.875-3cfm output.

Couple that with a 1½ball valve & greater/finer adjustments could be made.

Lmfao am I crazy for even thinking about this & possibly modding a brand new grill?

Thanks.
1000000141.jpg

I bought 4 smoker tubes, 2-6"tubes, 2-12" tubes & the 5"&8" maze smoker tray

Wholly Shit... What are planning on smoking with all those... As for pellets and sawdust... I would get those at pit boss as well... They are the original A-Maze-N products that burn the best... IMO ...

As for the bellows... I have no clue as I have never seen/used them ...

Reactions: DieselTech
Wholly Shit... What are planning on smoking with all those... As for pellets and sawdust... I would get those at pit boss as well... They are the original A-Maze-N products that burn the best... IMO ...

As for the bellows... I have no clue as I have never seen/used them ...
Lmao JD07, I was not sure what I was going to need, or what might work the best.

So I just ordered a Lil bit of everything. Plus I figured a person might need more than 1 smoker tube.

Plus I was unsure how long these smoker tubes last/burns. Also if 1 smoker tube burnt out I could just grab another smoker tube, light it, & continue on.

Welcome. Glad to see you're excited about the new hobby. Run the grill for awhile and get the hang of it. Then you can make an adjustment or two if needed.

You can get away with one tube and 1 tray. The most it takes is 5 minutes to relight if you ever run out. I'd also save your money on the billows. There is already a fan and temp control system in all pellet grills. The billows is for charcoal smokers Eggs, WSM etc. Adding increased computer regulated air flows to smokers that do not have it. Not sure about the cold smoke attachment. I use a tray when it is cold/cool outside. I use that in my kettle or pellet grill unplugged.

You need to save your money for buying meat and beer. Also a remote therm with several 2+ wires.

6" about 2 hrs
12" about 5 hr
Tray about 11 hrs

Welcome. Glad to see you're excited about the new hobby. Run the grill for awhile and get the hang of it. Then you can make an adjustment or two if needed.

You can get away with one tube and 1 tray. The most it takes is 5 minutes to relight if you ever run out. I'd also save your money on the billows. There is already a fan and temp control system in all pellet grills. The billows is for charcoal smokers Eggs, WSM etc. Adding increased computer regulated air flows to smokers that do not have it. Not sure about the cold smoke attachment. I use a tray when it is cold/cool outside. I use that in my kettle or pellet grill unplugged.

You need to save your money for buying meat and beer. Also a remote therm with several 2+ wires.
Well hopefully this Thermoworks Smoke X4 will be sufficient for my pit temp & meat internal Temps. I'm hoping it's good cause it will be here Friday.

Thanks for the info & help. It is much appreciated.
1000000142.jpg

Reactions: BigW.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky