Pork loin with mesquite???????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GaryHibbert

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
My future son in law handed me a full pork loin last night and ssked me to cut it into thirds and cold smoke each with a different wood. He plans to use the meat in different dishes he'll be cooking, so he wants a heavy smoke on each piece.
Here's my problem. He wants one piece smoked with MESQUITE. Don't know why, but it's his loin so mesquite it is.
Now I've never smoked ANYTHING with mesquite let alone pork loin.
I'll be using my MES and AMNPS. I really need some suggestions on how long to cold smoke it with the mesquite.
Gary

Reactions: Walchit
I don't see why you couldn't get a 2 hour cold smoke in and still be safe if you get it right back in the fridge. You could even repeat this a couple times.

I rarely use mesquite,when I do it's on beef and game ONLY.It can get overpowering pretty quickly but I hot smoke with it.
A Texan will pop in here probably,they're silly with the stuff.Most likely because it's growing everywhere there,nasty trees with huge thorns like a locust.Very earthy almost dirt flavor.

I've been wracking my brain trying to remember if I've ever smoked a pork loin with only mesquite. I know I've used mesquite/cherry (or peach) in a 50/50 mix, but I don't believe I've ever gone 100% mesquite except on beef, sausage, and occasionally whole chicken. A little bit goes a long way. My Texan wife's been missing mesquite, so I picked up 40 lbs last week, along with 40 lbs of hickory. That mesquite will probably last me two years.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky