pork loin fat cap, up or down?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jeff 1

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
I have a pork loin on the top rack above a boston butt in a brinkman vertical smoker,  Since it was on top and had the boston butt between it and the coals and would not be in as long I figured I would put the fat cap up,  does that sound right?

that is a great debate question, a # of people like the fat cap up, so as it smokes the fats breakdown and soak into the meat, others say cap side down.   i have seen alot of posts for pork shoulders and the same question.  most of the people would say it would be up to you.  

Different people have different ideas on the cap up or cap down thing I say try it both ways and see which you prefer or if you can tell a difference at all

Personal preference, I keep it up so it bastes the meat.
See what I mean Al keeps it up and I generally keep it down so its really personal tastes and preferences. Oh the other one you need to try when doing a pork but is to score the fat cap and try smoking with it up and see if you think that makes any difference.

UP for sure
Beer.gif
Beer.gif
Beer.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky