Pork loin drying out

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gholt

Original poster
Dec 31, 2016
So I did 4 pork loins on Sunday. Fun cut of meat as it was about $8 "for the meat. For them to about 155-160. Then rested in foil and a towel for about an hour. Meat tasted great, but after it sat in the open at dinner. The cut pieces were dry. Also when I had leftovers the next day after they were nuked for 45 sec that dried out towards the end of my lunch.

Any suggestions from the great smokers of there?

PC of when taken out of smoker.
3bb9bfea3a22f28cc0aa4f27b4a2d2d7.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Cook to no more than an IT of 140 if you are going to rest wrapped in foil and a towel. The meat will cruise up to 145+ and be much more juicy and stay that way. Between the high IT you went to and long insulated rest...It overcooked...JJ

Last edited:
Reactions: fullsmoke
Thank you thank you!

I'll try again this weekend.

can't add much more except... as said above... try brining them overnight... I take mine to 145 and then loosely tent (don't wrap) with foil... leaving sides open a lil for heat to escape ...

can't add much more except... as said above... try brining them overnight... I take mine to 145 and then loosely tent (don't wrap) with foil... leaving sides open a lil for heat to escape ...
Make sure that the loin is truly fresh if brining, as it may already be injected with some sort of solution coming from a mass production house.  Additional brining may be a waste if the loin already has a higher saline content than the bathing liquid, or make it too salty if the brine has higher saline content than already in the loin.  Read the label before dunking anything in solution:  it could save your wallet, your watch, and your tastebuds since the principles of osmosis are hard at work here. 

I smoked some pork tenderloin last weekend at 250-270 and wrapped in foil at an IT of 160. I left it on the grill until the IT hit 190 because I was smoking some BB with it and they both turned out juicy. I took them off the smoker at IT 190 and let it sit in the oven, OVEN OFF, for about 90 minutes still wrapped. I'm making it again tomorrow using the same method. Good luck with your next attempt, it really is just a tasty trial and error process!

Did it again used high smoke. So cooking at about 250-300. IT got to 140, took off and tented all 4 loins and put them in unheated microwave for about 1 hours, then pour in oven to warm up. Jucy and tender, having leftovers for lunch today.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky