Pork Loin Carnitas In A Cheddar Cheese Bowl (With Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
I'll preface this by saying that these aren't authentic Caritas. All I had was a pork loin so went with it and did not mess with running to the store for a shoulder. The seasoning however was authentic. Sadly though I didn't write down amounts so can just give a brief summary if asked. I cubed the pork really small and put it in the slow cooker. It ran for about 8 hours on low then turned to "keep warm" till dinner time. Being a loin it didn't take as long to get super tender. A while back our good friend Jeff ( jcam222 jcam222 ) posted some taco shells he made with melted cheddar cheese. That visual has stuck with me since seeing the post so thought I'd try a derivation of that concept for the "vessel" these were served in.

Meat in the slow cooker. Looks horrible but that's what happens to meat that's been cooked for hours and hours :emoji_wink: Sure did smell good though.
006.jpg

Here's where the fun starts...the cheese bowls. Two piles of cheese that were 1 cup of cheese each.
007.jpg

They went into the oven at 375 for a few minutes, The cheese was melting but not browning up like I wanted to turned the broiler on for just a couple minutes. That did the trick.
008.jpg

Take two small bowls and lay the cheese patty over them and mold to fit the shape of the bowl. Very simple process. Let them cool and firm up
009.jpg

Made some fresh pico de gallo ala Joe ( xray xray ) We love this stuff!!
010.jpg

I made up some Spanish rice. That went into the cheese bowl first
011.jpg

Next I add a nice serving of the pork
012.jpg

More cheese, as if the cheese bowls weren't enough. Cheese is like bacon or gravy: more is always better :emoji_wink:
013.jpg

Finish with shredded lettuce, pico, sour cream, and avocado slices.We are ready to eat alas
017.jpg

These were creative, fun, and dangerously delicious. Something about just snapping off a chunk of that crispy cheese shell to go along with all the goodies inside was beyond words. Next time I'll use the same amount of cheese, make the "circles" smaller, thus making the shells thicker. Mine held up adding all the ingredients but Tracy's started to soften up from the heat. A thicker shell would eliminate that issue. Oddly enough this was a very easy meal to put together. The shells only took a few minutes to make, same with the pico, and the meat just took care of itself in the slow cooker. This one goes on the "must do again" list. These were just outrageous. Well, enough bandwidth taken up. I'm gonna call this one done and sign off now. Y'all take care, stay safe, and we will see ya next time...which may be pretty soon. I had a productive weekend cooking and have a couple more things that are worthy of posting.

Robert

The level of your culinary creativity is just about off the charts Robert, huge Like! How you can see something and recreate it in your kitchen while putting your own twist on things just amazes me, that looks as tho it'd be absolutely delicious! RAY

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Looks awesome Robert! We do love the cheese shells. Love the use in a bowl form. I would tear one of those up, probably two if there were extra lol.

Those look awesome Robert. Love the cheese bowls. I need to give those a try sometime soon. I would tear up two or three of those things! Outstanding!

Looks delicious Robert! That's a great idea, now that you posted it I do remember seeing them also. You definitely think outside the box!

Ryan

Well done sir! That looks FANTASTIC! What kind of cheese did you use? I really want to try these. MMMMmmmm...

Robert, awesome... just awesome! That is one top notch and creative meal my friend! Very nice job!

That's fantastic Robert. You did it again! Now this is all I can think about. Great out of the box or bowl thinking. Thanks for sharing and stay safe.

Nice low carb take on carnitas we’ll have to try. Did a shoulder in Dutch oven couple days ago for al pastor tacos ... will have to try the cheese bowls.

Funny, last night watched an ATK recorded episode with carnitas (but of course done inside, in Dutch oven and lard, on oven crisped tortillas and closer to a quesadilla)

The level of your culinary creativity is just about off the charts Robert, huge Like! How you can see something and recreate it in your kitchen while putting your own twist on things just amazes me, that looks as tho it'd be absolutely delicious!

Thanks so much Ray. Truth be told all of the creativity and inspiration comes from people in the forum. Prior to finding thisplace I couldn't boil pasta.

RAY said it all! Yummy.

Yes sir, I guess he kinda did :emoji_wink:

Looks amazing Robert. Love those cheese shells! Fajita night at my house tonight

This one was fun Jake. We are cheese junkies and this just takes things to another level. BTW, your fajitas looked fantastic!!

We do love the cheese shells. Love the use in a bowl form. I would tear one of those up, probably two if there were extra lol.

Thank you Jeff and thank you for the idea. This was just a blast. I think I'm going to make some taco shells like this but use a flat piece of wood to drape them over. This will give a flat bottom so the shells will stand up.

Robert

Reactions: jcam222
Those look awesome Robert. Love the cheese bowls. I need to give those a try sometime soon. I would tear up two or three of those things! Outstanding!

Thank you my friend. I doubt however you'd get through 3 of them. They were pretty hefty and all that cheese was pretty filling. Two maybe...:emoji_wink:

Wow, that is really cool. A bowl made out of cheese would be my kind of bowl!

Appreciate it. Now these will be our kind of bowls also. Trying to think of a way to make them and use as soup bowls. That would be fun...

Heck yell those look fantastic.

Thank you Warren!! They were pretty tasty and I loved the creative aspect of them.

Heck ya, Robert! Those look really good.

Sincere thanks Derek!! They came out well for a first attempt. Now that I know it will work I'll certainly expand from here.

Robert

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky