Pork Head Porchetta

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chef Perry

Original poster
Feb 10, 2018
Washington
img_5237-jpg.354798

This was a bit of work, lol, but totally worth it. I've done a lot of porchettas, but I think this was the best I've tasted.

img_5092-copy-jpg.354799

Skinning the head was the hardest part. I'm sure it gets easier with practice, but is was a pain for a first timer.

img_5098-copy-jpg.354800

Stuffed with pork belly, and shoulder slices. Then rubbed with spices and herbs.

img_5110-copy-jpg.354801

Rolled the whole mess up, the wrapped in cheesecloth

img_5111-copy-jpg.354802

All tied up in a pretty package, and ready for her 24 hour bath in the sousvide.

img_5219-copy-jpg.354803

Cooked, unwrappped, and ready for roasting!

img_5228-jpg.354804

3 hours in the Caja China, and all done!

img_5232-copy-jpg.354805

Attachments

• IMG_5237.JPG
    IMG_5237.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_5092 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_5092 - Copy.JPG
    219.3 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_5098 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_5098 - Copy.JPG
    326.2 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_5110 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_5110 - Copy.JPG
    283.3 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_5111 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_5111 - Copy.JPG
    264.8 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_5219 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_5219 - Copy.JPG
    258.7 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_5228.JPG
    IMG_5228.JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_5232 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_5232 - Copy.JPG
    285.7 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Wow. That is impressive. I cook pig heads into headcheese twice a year, but skinning the head? That is commitment.

Head meat/skin, belly and shoulder....that could only taste awesome.

Nice job.

Reactions: Chef Perry
" ... Amazing job... I can only imagine how flavorful that would be.. The spices... textures... worthy of a 'last meal" menu item...

Is Porchetta Italian for Pork Overdose!!! I didn't think it was possible to OD on pork but you might be dangerously close! Man that looks good!!!

Thanks man! Kinda a cross between the French Tete De Porc Farcie, and classic Roman porchetta. A thick slice of this on top of a plate of pommes puree is pretty hard to beat, lol.

I love headcheese too, but my attempts have been hit and miss (old school "boil the trotters" for the aspic.) Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I do an annual "Deep end of the pool" dinner for friends and family. That's a whole roasted beef head, barbacoa-style, from a couple of year ago.

Wow nice!

If we have a Halloween throwdown challange you could surely do this and try to keep the pig head skin looking like a pig head for a win!

Also I was thinking "Halloween Mask" idea when I saw this thread :P

Reactions: Chef Perry
Thanks, Al! Hey...several folks have congratulated me on this "carousel" thing...I'm clueless, lol. What is that?
Go to the banner at the top of the page, click on it. Below the banner of the home page is another banner that is linked to several featured cooks. It is a scrolling banner, the cooks go round and round, hence it is dubbed the Carousel.

That is a great looking meal, a tremendous amount of work involved. Congrats on the great job, and making the carousel.

Go to the banner at the top of the page, click on it. Below the banner of the home page is another banner that is linked to several featured cooks. It is a scrolling banner, the cooks go round and round, hence it is dubbed the Carousel.

Cool, thanks!

This looks absolutely amazing, who knew a pig face could look so delicious. Congrats on making the carousel.
POINT!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky