Pork = Flatulence (Gas)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm going to smoke some spareribs my wife bought from Walmart. I did notice something though on the package..........Farmland brand....has an up to 12% deep basted solution added: water, potassium lactate, dextrose, sodium phosphates, & salt.

I don't need any help with farts.........

I would blame the Watermelon....................

http://www.annieappleseedproject.org/aronfoodcom.html

The 5th Paragraph states:

"[font=arial, helvetica]For example, many people say that watermelon gives them indigestion. Since watermelon digests in only 20-30 minutes, when it enters your stomach filled with slower digesting food, it gets held up in its digestive process and ferments. This fermentation causes gas and discomfort."[/font]
And because of the cold we had this year, plus the late growing season, the watermelon has been especially sweet. More so that other years.

I can't believe this string is for real... I figured it would be 2 or 3 posts about a poor-at-best fart joke... Not 3 pages of flatulence funnies!!! I think my staff overheard me laughing like a moron!!! 

I'm never used to be a PETA supporter, but I feel compelled to make a donation on behalf of the crop dusted cat and dutch oven dog!!!

Good luck with the gas my friend!!! 

Johnny K.

I'm going to smoke some spareribs my wife bought from Walmart. I did notice something though on the package..........Farmland brand....has an up to 12% deep basted solution added: water, potassium lactate, dextrose, sodium phosphates, & salt.

I don't need any help with farts.........
Potassium and Phosphate... Aren't those the main ingredients in fireworks !?!?!   Maybe that's were it comes from!  

Well, dang! Ain't there a doctor somewhere in the house? This is interesting stuff (and funny too) and would be nice to find out the cause. Was there any resolution? There were so many variables.....

No, not a doctor. Just thinking as I read the post(dangerous) my feelings; I would say the culprit is grease , plain old grease. When you eat something with a lot of grease or made with a lot of grease(like Chili) don't you start pooting later?And if you happen to have some fiber with it, look out Martha,the cats gonna do it again.......

Grease tends to cause farting after I ingest it, and sometimes it get hilarious. I'll be walking around the house and sound like a 2-stroked lawnmorer.

Just sayin'

Stan and Trish   aka   oldschool

Are you using a GAS smoker?
biggrin.gif
  My guess is the Watermelon. Just from what I have read on the internet it can cause some tummy troubles.  I have never heard of or had gas from eating pork.  Might be the BBQ sauce but we eat SBR's quite a bit with no issues. 

here is some crude but informative research on the subject - scroll down at your own risk and click a time or two to enlarge. if the management finds it to be too much, feel free to delete it.

339f1bd5_image.jpg

Last edited:
OK, no kidding. I started smoking meat 12 days ago, and have smoked 6 different times since then. I've smoked a whole chicken, tilapia, chicken breasts, turkey breasts, wings, and ribs x 2. That's all in the last 12 days. And since Saturday I've had bad gas coming up as burps, thank God not farts.

I saw this post sometime last week, and just skipped over it thinking the OP was just being funny. But I've had the burps for like an hour to 2 hours at a time. They've gotten to be longer stretches. I've got them right now, and had them since 11:30 this afternoon. Could it just be that my body is just adapting to the huge intake of smoke that I'm getting from all of this smoked meat?

Again this is not a joke, it's very annoying and painful sometimes. Feels like I've got a bubble of gas at the base of my throat just below the collar bone that keeps pushing out burps. This is crazy!!! I've decided to hold off on smoking, and eating smoked meats the next 4 days. Have to make some ribs for when the in-laws arrive next week though.

By the way there are some hillarious posts on here. I decided to read all of the posts at first to see if anyone else had an idea as to what was going on before I posted, but all you jokers out there are frickin hilarious!

When I was younger I never ran into this problem. Then again, I could also tolerate copious amounts habanero sauce in my early to late 20s. Fast forward to today (in my early 40s) and I have to say I'm plagued by the same issues noted here with any kind of pork. I think my gut bacteria is out of wack.

I did a little research into this and might have found a somewhat scientific answer:

Evil smelling flatus is caused by a high sulfate content in the diet. Meat is high in methionine and cystine, and some gut bacteria metabolise these releasing sulfide gases. If these bacteria can be reduced in number, the amount of sulfide gas in flatus can be reduced.
Prebiotics feed some bacteria in the large bowel creating healthy short chain fatty acids which acidify the lower intestinal environment and make it less hospitable for sulfide producing bacteria, thereby reducing the foul smell.
High cystine foods include pork, beef, chicken, fish, lentils, oatmeal, eggs, low-fat yogurt, sunflower seeds, and cheese.

Do you use Garlic powder on your rub mix for your ribs? I know certain pizza chains use some form of Garlic powder that gives me and my daughter horrible gut cramps to the point of dropping our guts. Little Ceasars and Domino's....Everytime. I use garlic powder sparingly in some of my stuff, but dont seem to have an issue with the rubs I make. Bbq sauce would be my next guess. A lot of High Fructose Corn Syrup. Its NOT the same as sugar. your body goes through about 4 different processes to break down natural sugar, but high fructose corn syrup bypasses the need for it and many people react badly to that overload of end process Fructose. So, could be the BBQ sauce

I do use garlic powder when mixing up Jeff's rub, which is nearly every time for pork. I'll have to try leaving that out next time. I have noticed that garlic (in general) is something I've had to cut back on recently.

I'm no fan of high fructose corn syrup. If I pick up a bottle of sauce and it has HFCS on the label, I move on. It's a slight difference in taste but I notice it. If I'm going to have something sweetened, it'd better be with real sugar! :emoji_smile:

Reactions: spudthegreater
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky