Pork = Flatulence (Gas)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

amosis16

Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Greenwood, De
The last two times I've made ribs, I've recieved lots of comments on the ribs,  and the stomach gas afterward. :( 

I usually use Walmart,   whole spare ribs, ,  Sweet Baby Rays sauce,  and pear wood  (my father in law trimmed his trees this spring) 

I did this last batch on my UDS   with kingsford briquetts with chunks of smoke wood thrown in on top.   Temps run between 220* and 250*    

I use 3-2-1.  When I foil I squirt a bunch of sauce on them,  and when I unfoil I slather them again.  

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing the gas?   My wife is getting to the point where she doesn't eat my cooking. 

If you're serious about this, elimination might give you the answer. Try smoking a rack of ribs naked, but still use the 3-2-1 method. That should tell you if it's the pork, if it's not the pork, then what's left might be the problem. Good luck ..

Yeah, I have never had this from pork before.

I'd do the two things mentioned above for sure.... try some naked ribs with no extra hullabaloo... and then blame the sides!

Do you get massive gas too?

Pretty sure its the ribs,  the only other thing on our plate was watermelon     Am thinking the high sugar content in the sweet baby rays might have something to do with it. 

Maybe you should crush up some Beano and mix it in the rub. LOL! Watermelon can surely cause some tummy troubles at my house, but I love a good cold, sweet melon.

I would blame the Watermelon....................

http://www.annieappleseedproject.org/aronfoodcom.html

The 5th Paragraph states:

"[font=arial, helvetica]For example, many people say that watermelon gives them indigestion. Since watermelon digests in only 20-30 minutes, when it enters your stomach filled with slower digesting food, it gets held up in its digestive process and ferments. This fermentation causes gas and discomfort."[/font]

Last edited:
Maybe you should crush up some Beano and mix it in the rub. 
That there Squirrel sounds like the best solution! LMAO (pun intended!) At least by adding the beano there would be no need to smoke'em naked!

More seriously I think richoso said it all, time to start the process of elimination.  

Just eat outside.
icon_redface.gif

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing the gas?   My wife is getting to the point where she doesn't eat my cooking. 
 Because of her gas or yours??? 
icon_wink.gif

Farts are funny.. I don't care who you are.  

If you find out what causes them, let me know.... I do belive it's the breakdown of protiens..
 Wikipedia.. Nerve endings in the rectum usually enable individuals to distinguish between flatus and feces,[sup][4][/sup] although loose stool can confuse the individual, occasionally resulting in accidental defecation.
You don't want this at your BBQ!

I get confused!

WARNING: THIS FOOD CAN LEAD TO ABDOMINAL CONFUSION

I'm done..

Last edited:
I agree with do the ribs without a sauce or heavy spices.   I know for me, anything with lots of onion, or onion powder will scent the wind. 

cheap , enhanced ribs, and crappy bbq sauce would be my guess.  

Go buy some fresh pork, and throw the SBR bbq sauce in the garbage.   

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky