Pork Fat vs Pork Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bones1948

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
Winter Springs, Florida
When I have made venison summer sausage in the past I used pork butts to add with the venison.  60% venison to 40% pork butt and the summer sausage came out good.  i recently was able to get pork fat for free.  I mixed the pork fat with the venison at a 70% venison to 30% pork fat.  The summer sausage did not turn out well.  There was fat drippings congelled under the casings after I gave them a water bath.  Should I have used the pork fat by itself?  I think I used to much.  Can I use pork fat successfully and if so   what % should I have used?  Should I forget about the pork fat and go back to the pork butts?

Thanks Bones

When I have made venison summer sausage in the past I used pork butts to add with the venison.  60% venison to 40% pork butt and the summer sausage came out good.  i recently was able to get pork fat for free.  I mixed the pork fat with the venison at a 70% venison to 30% pork fat.  The summer sausage did not turn out well.  There was fat drippings congelled under the casings after I gave them a water bath.  Should I have used the pork fat by itself?  I think I used to much.  Can I use pork fat successfully and if so   what % should I have used?  Should I forget about the pork fat and go back to the pork butts?

Thanks Bones
You used way to much fat. drop back to 10-20% Ground chuck is 80-20 to give you an idea.

Happy smoken.

David

70/30 is not unrealistic for summer sausage. Sounds like either the smoker or the hot bath was too hot and you were on your way to having a "fat out". The highest internal temp of your sausage should be around 145-152. Sausage should be brought up to temp gradually so the fat does not render.

I like to use meat at about 93% lean when making summer sausage. When using a higher fat content fat drippings can congeal under the casings and is common. Just wipe it off and enjoy

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky