Pork Crown Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Azycray

Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Fairfax Virginia
So as many of you may already know, Jeff sent out a recipe this morning for a Smoked Pork Crown roast. Never having heard of this before , I began a little research and realized this is a specialty cut that you don't see too often, probably because it is what they cut pork chops from. There are plenty of places on line to order, but as you also probably know, ordering meat online is not usually where you go to find a good deal. I'm really wanting to try this though because for one reason, it is a special breed of pig, and based on the reviews, I'm willing to pay a premium for a special holiday meal. Having said all that, the rack of pork , which can then be french-ed to make the crown roast, can be purchased either as a roast or already french-ed. I'm just looking for input from those who have tried this cut before, as well as the special breed, Berkshire pork - also known as Kurobuta. What are your ratings for this cut? Is it noticeably better than the garden variety found in the local Piggly Wiggly? I am inclined to order the roast and then cut it into a French-ed Crown roast myself. But cutting meat off the bone for a nice looking crown seems unnecessary. I'd rather cook everything and chew it off the bone. Basically, you could take a bunch of thick cut pork chops and make a crown roast from those, although it wouldn't be the Berkshire variety. Anyway, let me know your opinions if you have any. Thanks, RJ

Good for you for trying new things and getting out of your comfort zone!
I am no expert but my two cents are that the crown roast is not limited to a specific
breed but in how the bone in roast is presented. French and tied into a circle.
If you still want to get crown roast of Berkshire than that will be a bit trickier.
Snake River Farms has the frenched roast but not tied in a circle. You would probably have to get two and tie them together to get the crown without having to cut the chops nearly apart... if that makes sense.
Here is a link and I will tell you that their Berkshire (Kurobuta) pork is outstanding as it should for $20 a pound!
Good luck and post back.

Good for you for trying new things and getting out of your comfort zone!
I am no expert but my two cents are that the crown roast is not limited to a specific
breed but in how the bone in roast is presented. French and tied into a circle.
If you still want to get crown roast of Berkshire than that will be a bit trickier.
Snake River Farms has the frenched roast but not tied in a circle. You would probably have to get two and tie them together to get the crown without having to cut the chops nearly apart... if that makes sense.
Here is a link and I will tell you that their Berkshire (Kurobuta) pork is outstanding as it should for $20 a pound!
Good luck and post back.
I definitely want the Berkshire pork, I saw the Snake River roast but ended up going with 2 roasts from the Wagyu website, so I could do the full circle. I think all I have to do is cut about half way through between each bone and form into a circle and tie the ends together. Jeffs recipe looks great so I intend to brine it just as he instructed.

As mentioned the crown roast isnt specific to a breed just get 2 center cut roast, rib cuts, and tie them together making the circle. You'll probably save yourself 2 to 3 dollars a pound doing it yourself

I've not done them as a circular Crown Roast, but I've done several Frenched Racks of Pork.
The best presentation in my opinion is attained by taking your time and prepping, that is to say Frenching the bones.
Clean them well and foil them tightly, it leaves a very clean and white bone.
If you want to go all out you can finish them with white paper frills.

bDuA1UYh.jpg

Here are a couple of my cooks.

We did one for Christmas one year when living in update NY. Very popular up the and available in most every grocery store around the holidays frenched and tied into the circle. As I remember it was very good.

A crown roast is just a fancy presentation of a bone-in pork roast. They don't have to be in a circle and will turn out just fine when done like chilerelleno chilerelleno has done them. That being said, the bowl in the middle of a crown roast makes a nice place for the presentation of a side dish such as brown or wild rice, cornbread stuffing, mashed potatoes, etc.
1670590227515.png

I've not done them as a circular Crown Roast, but I've done several Frenched Racks of Pork.
The best presentation in my opinion is attained by taking your time and prepping, that is to say Frenching the bones.
Clean them well and foil them tightly, it leaves a very clean and white bone.
If you want to go all out you can finish them with white paper frills.

View attachment 650630

Here are a couple of my cooks.
Hey John, on the Herb Crusted version what were the savory herbs & spices you used?

Reactions: chilerelleno
I definitely want the Berkshire pork, I saw the Snake River roast but ended up going with 2 roasts from the Wagyu website, so I could do the full circle. I think all I have to do is cut about half way through between each bone and form into a circle and tie the ends together. Jeffs recipe looks great so I intend to brine it just as he instructed.
Be careful not to cut too deep or you are going to overcook in those area's.
I would score just a little for a bend but not much more than a 1/4".
And as Chile has said cover the tips of the bones with foil except for the last 30-40 minutes. That would also be the time to fill the "bowl" with stuffing or rice or....
Have fun!

I did a crown for Christmas a few years ago.
Our Costco usually carries rack of pork. I left it unfrenched, like you are thinking. I care more about eating than presentation, and the crispy bits on the bones are perfect for once you are full, but are sitting around enjoying company still.
I like the crown vs a straight roast because the cuts give you much higher surface are for Browning and more even seasoning.
It's a very high value cut/presentation. Pretty cheap and your guests will be very impressed.

Reactions: Azycray
I did a crown for Christmas a few years ago.
Our Costco usually carries rack of pork. I left it unfrenched, like you are thinking. I care more about eating than presentation, and the crispy bits on the bones are perfect for once you are full, but are sitting around enjoying company still.
I like the crown vs a straight roast because the cuts give you much higher surface are for Browning and more even seasoning.
It's a very high value cut/presentation. Pretty cheap and your guests will be very impressed.
If he is going to all the trouble to do a crown the you really should French the bones IN
my opinion. The small amount of meat could be save for sausage or any other many uses.
Go big or go to a restaurant! (actually don't go to a restaurant!)
Presentation is part of the cooking process as the say, you eat with your eyes.

Relative to the Berkshire pork it is fantastic. Redder richer meat in my opinion. Our Kroger carries it from an Ohio farm and it’s actually moderately priced. I would not pay the marked up prices I’ve seen it marketed for on some of the major net sellers though.

Berkshire is delicious! I have bought the shoulder from SRF and broke it down.
Made Cappacola from the coppa. Pulled pork and then cured and smoked the shank
for beans and greens. It is fairly affordable (wait for free shipping promo's!)
It was over 20 lbs and at $130 doable every once in a while!
Now I need to try Mangalitsa.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky