Pork Chops, Smoked/Seared

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Found a good deal on some of those Extra Thick 2" Pork.
Chops at Costco, $1.49/lb plus take $3.00 off at the register.
I picked up several flats, six beautiful chops per flat.
Picked the best for today's dinner and packaged the rest for the freezer.

Put together a nice brine and bagged them to sit overnight.
A good brining and/or brine injection really makes for some moist/juicy chops.
As long as you don't overcook'em, you'll never eat a dry chop again.

6C water
6T kosher salt
A generous handful each of mixed peppercorns, dried onion flakes, granulated garlic and Oregano.

n1Ee2ha.jpg

15 hours later I pulled them out of the brine and heavily dusted them with an equal parts mix of Lawry's seasoned salt, pork rub and an herb mix.

Mqansgb.jpg

Fired up the smoker, 200°-225° with a mix of Hickory and Mesquite.
Gave them about an hour and a half of smoke, pulled them with an IT of 115°.
Nice Color
OR0Jhjt.jpg

From there on to a screaming hot grill, get a good sear to an IT of 140°-142°.
Driving the Neighbors Crazy
RqOizMk.jpg

To go with these portly specimens of pork chops, I made some Hasselback Potatoes and Grilled Squash/Zucchini.

Recipe Link>>> Hasselback Potatoes

Nh106d5.jpg

I've seldom finished one of these big boys in one sitting.
But these were so danged good and juicy that next thing I know I'm gnawing on a bone.

Plated
fceOt9I.jpg

Center Cut
kkRjnGi.jpg

The Finale
K8qhFmJ.jpg

Last edited:
Man , another fine cook Chili! Love chops on the grill and zucchini as well. Those are some nifty looking potatoes too. I believe there is still a little left to gnaw off that bone :)

Those look chops look fabulous John. Mega likes. I've never done hasselback potatoes. Do they get crispy inside?

Point for sure
Chris

Man , another fine cook Chili! Love chops on the grill and zucchini as well. Those are some nifty looking potatoes too. I believe there is still a little left to gnaw off that bone :)
Thanks man.
Yeah grilled squash and zucchini is a favorite here too, lots of grilled veggies happen around here.
Maybe a little left on the bone for the dog.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcam222
Those look chops look fabulous John. Mega likes. I've never done hasselback potatoes. Do they get crispy inside?

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris.
They get crispy on the top edges if you cook at a higher temp.
Crisping will benefit from basting with fat/oil during prep, and once or twice during the cook.

Here's the recipe I use.

Link>>> Hasselback Potatoes

Hasselback Potatoes
Preheat oven to 400°
Use starchy potatoes for best results
Prep potatoes by cutting 1/16"-1/8" slices 2/3 or so into spuds
Baste potatoes in fat/oil, e.g. bacon grease, butter or vegetable oil
Lightly salt or otherwise season
Bake for 40 min, pull and baste with seasoned butter, be sure to get plenty of seasoned butter into the cuts
Return to oven and cook till edges are browning and the interior is fork tender. Should be about 30-40 more minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: gmc2003
Awesome looking meal John! My kind of eating.

I gotta give the tenderloins a break and make a nice meaty chop like that, delicious!

Like!

Knocked it out of the park once again John! What's funny is I saw the picture rolling through the carousel and knew that this was your cook haha those chops are killer. Great looking meal all around!

Found a good deal on some of those Extra Thick 2" Pork.
Chops at Costco, $1.49/lb plus take $3.00 off at the register.
I picked up several flats, six beautiful chops per flat.
Picked the best for today's dinner and packaged the rest for the freezer.

Put together a nice brine and bagged them to sit overnight.
A good brining and/or brine injection really makes for some moist/juicy chops.
As long as you don't overcook'em, you'll never eat a dry chop again.

6C water
6T kosher salt
A generous handful each of mixed peppercorns, dried onion flakes, granulated garlic and Oregano.

n1Ee2ha.jpg

15 hours later I pulled them out o9f the brine and heavily dusted them with an equal parts mix of Lawry's seasoned salt, pork rub and an herb mix.

Mqansgb.jpg

Fired up the smoker, 200°-225° with a mix of Hickory and Mesquite.
Gave them about an hour and a half of smoke, pulled them with an IT of 115°.
Nice Color
OR0Jhjt.jpg

From there on to a screaming hot grill, get a good sear to an IT of 140°-142°.
Driving the Neighbors Crazy
RqOizMk.jpg

To go with these portly specimens of pork chops, I made some Hasselback Potatoes and Grilled Squash/Zucchini.

Recipe Link>>> Hasselback Potatoes

Nh106d5.jpg

I've seldom finished one of these big boys in one sitting.
But these were so danged good and juicy that next thing I know I'm gnawing on a bone.

Plated
fceOt9I.jpg

Center Cut
kkRjnGi.jpg

The Finale
K8qhFmJ.jpg

Great looking meal, i need to find some chops like that!
Like!

Perfect meal! I love a nice thick porky chop and the zucchini on the grill always hits the spot at our house! Great job!

WOW!!!! Another masterful meal John. The chops look amazing, the squash is tantalizing, and those taters are nothing short of mind boggling. When I grow up, I wanna be just like you!! I just did the last 2 chops we had in the freezer last week but I'll be headed to Costco soon for another pork run. I do have zucchini and taters in the fridge though. now to think through what to cook with it.

Great big LIKE my friend!!

Blown away again,
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky