Pork Char Sui (Chinese BBQ pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ofelles

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 16, 2019
Brentwood CA
Made some Pork Char Sui yesterday made with a butt on the YS640
upload_2019-7-7_10-48-5.png

upload_2019-7-7_10-48-47.png

here's a bite
upload_2019-7-7_10-49-40.png

Sorry no picture but matched it with some Smoky Shoyu-Flavored Corn & Bacon rice.
Very good.

2008RN 2008RN Here ya go, enjoy

Char Siu Pork

used hickory pellets 7-7-19

Ingredients:
  • 8 pounds boneless pork shoulder, well-trimmed
  • 12 cloves garlic, minced
  • ½ cup fresh ginger, minced
  • ⅜ to ¾ cup sugar
  • 2¼ teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
  • 1⅛ cups Hoisin sauce
  • ⅜ to ¾ cup honey
  • ½ cup Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
  • ¾ cup soy sauce
  • ⅜ cup black soy sauce
  • ¼ cup sesame oil
  • 2 teaspoons red food coloring (can use beet juice)
Preparation:

Slice pork into strips about six" long and 1"-1½" thick.

Make the marinade by combining and whisking together all the other ingredients. Marinate the pork, covered, in the refrigerator for 6-8 hours, or overnight, turning the pork 2 or 3 times.

Heat the smoker tot 225°F. Set a water pan on the lower grate (optional). Remove the pork from the marinate and reserve the marinate for basting.

Set pork on grates leaving space between pieces. Insert a probe in a piece of the pork or two, and set the high alarm to 145°F. Meanwhile heat the reserved marinate to boiling, then keep warm. When alarm sounds (about 45 minutes?) raise temp to 300°F and baste the meat with some of the reserved marinade. Reset alarm for 165°F and cook. When alarm sounds again (another 15-30 minutes?) baste again twice. Continue cooking until temp reaches 170°F to 180°F.

When the alarm sounds this last time, verify your final pull temperatures with an instant read thermometer in several pieces. When ready, remove the meat from smoker and allow to rest for 10 minutes covered loosely with foil.

Slice and enjoy! Traditional preparation is slices roughly pencil width. Flavor is intense so thin slices are ideal for a good crust to meat ratio per bite.

I've been wanting to try this since I read the OP. Finally got around to doing it today, turned out great. Thank you ofelles ofelles for the recipe and introduction to this dish.
I never think to get pics until after the fact but here is a shot of the leftovers that will make some work lunches this week.
20190803_182801.jpg

Reactions: ofelles
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky