Pork butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

redneckbunny78

Original poster
Jan 20, 2014
This might be an odd ball question but if I want to smoke a pork butt but am not able to put in chips in as frequently as I need to because I have it going while I am at work, will it be just as effective if I can add chips 4 or 5 hours while I am on my lunch break?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sandi

Most of your smoke needs to be applied in the first 2 or 3 hours. After that its kinda not as important. What kind of smoker are you using?

I'm not sure which model it is. It's a master built electric smoker.

Funny dougmays. Too bad they are all in school :)

This might be an odd ball question but if I want to smoke a pork butt but am not able to put in chips in as frequently as I need to because I have it going while I am at work, will it be just as effective if I can add chips 4 or 5 hours while I am on my lunch break?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sandi
Yes it will work, smoke for flavor can be added at any time during the cook.

I think it's the 30" one. I got it from my dad after he passed away so I'm not sure. But it's the one without the window. Probably one of the cheaper models.

The A-maze-n smoker is a good idea for future smokes if your going to do it while at awork. another thing you can do is start it at night so you can get the smoke absorbing while your home and then let it finish while your at work

[ATTACHMENT=1122]roast.JPG (509k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Looks good. I added a few more chips while I was at lunch and took it out before I went back to work to wrap up and sit until I got home this evening. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks that will work great! It amazes me how long a wrapped piece of meat will hold its temp and redistribute juices in a cooler. IMO, many people don't rest it enough.

Good Luck,

Scott

Its getting late here, I meant "Think" that will work great not "Thanks" that will work great. Sorry. :-(

That's what I get for talking and typing at the same time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky