• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Pork butt question

southnjsmoke

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 15, 2016
I'm doing a 10lb butt tomorrow morning. Anyone have suggestions on times? The biggest one I've done is 7lb and that was 8 hours. Thinking I need to get it on by 430am to eat by 5 or 6pm

gary s

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 6, 2011
What temp you planning on smoking at ?  I usually smoke at 225º  Butts can handle higher temps really well, You can crank it up to 250 -275 to improve on your cooking time

Gary

southnjsmoke

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 15, 2016
What temp you planning on smoking at ?  I usually smoke at 225º  Butts can handle higher temps really well, You can crank it up to 250 -275 to improve on your cooking time

Gary
I was thinking about going 240-250

hardcookin

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
I would guess 10 hours at that temp.
You planning on wrapping the butt during the cook? Because that would help it get through the stall.

southnjsmoke

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 15, 2016
You planning on wrapping the butt during the cook? Because that would help it get through the stall.
I usually wrap it once it hits 165 internal temp. I am concerned the stall time might be 2 hours with that big of a butt

gary s

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 6, 2011
I normally smoke butt around 8 lbs  and figure 10 - 12 hours    Crank it up to 275º for the first couple of hours then let it fall back to 250º

you should be OK

Gary

southnjsmoke

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 15, 2016
I normally smoke butt around 8 lbs  and figure 10 - 12 hours    Crank it up to 275º for the first couple of hours then let it fall back to 250º
you should be OK

Gary
Thanks I appreciate it.. I will do that.. I will start high and back it down a little after a few hours

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.