Pork Butt Plateau

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foozer

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 21, 2007
Huxley, Iowa
Has anyone ever had a pork butt not plateau? I put a 7 pound butt on at 1;30 this afternoon. It is now at an internal temp of 170 (10;45) and I have not seen a plateau yet. I am starting to get concerned. I did take it off and wrap it in aluminum foil and back on the smoker until it reaches 195. I am a little concerned since I haven't seen a plateau.

I would tend to agree with Rich. but alot depends on your smoking temps also. 10+ hours does seem like a plateau should have happend. It is possible for a butt not to plateau though, but a butt that size should be close to done at 10+ hours. I had an 8 1/2 lb one done in just over 7.

Thanks Guys,

You are probably right. I was expecting a 2 or 3 hour plateau. I am still planning to pull it off at 195. I was just a little surprised by this.

Again, I say thank you for the quick response.

How do I give points for your help?

I had been real lucky with the plateau's until last weekend.
None last really long.
Well last weekend I had a 11 butt plateau at 155* and sit there for over 3 hours.
Stuck it out and all turned out great. Started it at 3:30pm and finished at 8:30am. I was beat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky