Pork Butt. Hour 14.. Still Waiting...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Put that beast in a pan, add a Cup of Juice, Cola or Soda you like, cover it and stick it in your oven at 200°F, then get some sleep. Your looking at 2 to 4 more hours minimum....JJ

Words of wisdom heeded. 185, an oven probe, and some zzz's.
Thanks Sensei JJ!

Attachments

• 20210531_235102.jpg
    20210531_235102.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 40
Well...What time is lunch today? Was looking mighty good when you put it in the oven.
Jim

Oh man that brings back memories (and not good ones). Before I started cutting them in half butts took around 15hrs for me. I wanted to run 2 and asked here, most guys said add a few hours. Stayed up real late and got up real early as I thought they would be done in the wee hours but not so. Was done around midday and took 25.5hrs... I coulda went to bed early and slept in.

I am in the no oven camp. Did it one time and wife was not cool. Also never pull a butt inside late at night. No one will sleep. Especially the dog. :emoji_laughing:

Last edited:
Well, oven probe alarm went off at 0334 hours, so I removed it (at 195) and stowed it away until 0530 before pulling. Came out GREAT! I, on the other hand, came away tired as hell today. The boys I'm feeding after golf league better appreciate it!
The funny thing is, I purposely paid little attention to it so I wouldn't get aggravated by the stall. Because the meat always wins, it got me on the overall length. That's what I get for trying to outwit a butt...

Attachments

• 20210601_142431.jpg
    20210601_142431.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 35
Rest until it hits 205F. That is the temperature I pull it. I let her cool down to about 140-150F (About an hour or two) before getting into it

I had charcoal, gas, and electric smoker's before trying the pellet style. I'm still new to it with no water pan, so I played it a bit more cautious. With the higher cook temp, I'll prob put a water pan in just for piece of mind. Thoughts?

Wth....I cook my pork butt for round 6 hours n it comes out perfect everytime.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210607-134519_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210607-134519_Gallery.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 21
Water pan it is! Thx Beretta.

6 hours, Tulkas??? I'm not sure I ever had one go THAT fast! What temp you use?

It stays between 250 to 350. But I dont cook mine to be shredded like moat I'm not big on shredded I cook mine to bout 170 to 190 to where I can still slice it for I can eat it with other fixings like baked potatos etc. Etc like u do with like chicken etc. Etc. But that's just my preferred method. N I've shared with so many people n they all loved it so much.

Reactions: tktplz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky