• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Pork Butt at 300F

john3198

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 2, 2009
I am smoking a turkey Saturday and want to run the MES at 300F to get decent skin on the turkey. I have a 1/2 (about 4 lb) pork butt I want to do as well for pulled pork. Can I put it in with the turkey at 300F or should I use another smoker at the usual 225? Will it be OK at 300?

mike243

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
my MES wont run but 275, the higher temp will be fine to cook them both, sounds like some good eating will be happening , lot of folks prefer the higher temps, use temp probes so you can pull at the best temps, that's where the Ink Bird multi probes are great, they will alert you of temps reached . pork is very forgiving when cooking but when you run higher temps you can misjudge times so a probe to keep track of temps without opening the door really helps.

john3198

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 2, 2009
my MES wont run but 275, the higher temp will be fine to cook them both, sounds like some good eating will be happening , lot of folks prefer the higher temps, use temp probes so you can pull at the best temps, that's where the Ink Bird multi probes are great, they will alert you of temps reached . pork is very forgiving when cooking but when you run higher temps you can misjudge times so a probe to keep track of temps without opening the door really helps.
Thanks Mike. Will definitely have everything temp probed.

Johnny Ray

Meat Mopper
Joined Jun 22, 2019
Cooking a BB at 300* is fine. It will most likely need a slightly higher internal temperature to achieve the tenderness you’re looking for.

Johnny Ray

edward36

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 3, 2014
Agree on the BB - very forgiving... I almost always cook it on 275F and it comes out perfect.

Inscrutable

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 4, 2019
Agree with the others. I don’t do butts real low anymore, they are perfectly happy at 250-300, and cuts the time way down.
Also agree with Mike on max temps on most electrics ... mine won’t go above 260 or so until the meat warms significantly or I use the chip loader and the wood supplements the temp a bit.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.