Pork burger

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ks_wayward_son

Original poster
Apr 21, 2021
Completely new guy question, but is the ground pork burger I get from my local meat locker technically the same thing as ground butt/shoulder? If so would be dang handy to stock up on a few pounds to save me the trouble of processing my own butts for sausage etc. Yet, at the prices I've see pork climbing might just have to continue to turn out my own. Thanks.

not necessarily all from butt or shoulder, could also be trim from loins, hams mixed in also but if the price is right i'm sure it will do just fine for sausage as long as there is some fat in there which i'm sure there is.

Could be butt, but I'd say there's a good chance it trimmings off all the other cuts they make, or a combination of both

I type to slow....... hahaha

The Pork Burger price would have to be good. Locally, in PA, Butts and Shoulder are on Sale between $0.99 and $1.49, pretty frequently...JJ

Completely new guy question, but is the ground pork burger I get from my local meat locker technically the same thing as ground butt/shoulder? If so would be dang handy to stock up on a few pounds to save me the trouble of processing my own butts for sausage etc. Yet, at the prices I've see pork climbing might just have to continue to turn out my own. Thanks.
I was a meatcutter by trade for 40 years , we always used lean trimmings from the entire days pork cut for our ground pork and added pork butts if we needed to lean it up a bit .

The Pork Burger price would have to be good. Locally, in PA, Butts and Shoulder are on Sale between $0.99 and $1.49, pretty frequently...JJ
Chef J. You got us beat right now on the butts. Where I'm at its over 2.00/pd now most times seems like.

Just started grinding and making my own burgers.
I have added fresh diced bacon and poutine cheese to my mixture.
my question. Has anyone added the greenfield or Costco previously cooked bacon to their mix? If so. How was it?
thank you in advance

Just started grinding and making my own burgers.
I have added fresh diced bacon and poutine cheese to my mixture.
my question. Has anyone added the greenfield or Costco previously cooked bacon to their mix? If so. How was it?
thank you in advance
I have. But not these brands. It works ok. But, I like precooking bacon to a near crisp texture. Then adding. It gives a better mouth feel. And the bacon has some fat left to permeate the ground beef and add flavor .

Reactions: Suds15
I have. But not these brands. It works ok. But, I like precooking bacon to a near crisp texture. Then adding. It gives a better mouth feel. And the bacon has some fat left to permeate the ground beef and add flavor .
Thank you

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky