Pork Belly - OK to Cut Up?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Good evening

Are there any concerns with cutting a pork belly into a couple of smaller chunks to brine/cure, instead of leaving as a whole belly?

For example - purchase a 10lb belly and cut up into three smaller chunks that are all brined/cured together. The brine/cure would all be based on 10lbs, even though it is 3 chunks of 3-4lbs each.

Does this impact the ratios or bringing/curing times?

if doing dry cure then yes, need to weigh each piece to apply proper amount of cure mixture to each slab and then putting in to a Ziploc bag on their own. If doing such in Pop's brine then no. Mix as needed a put all chunks into a bucket that will hold them. At least that is how I understand it.

Reactions: jcam222 and chopsaw
if doing dry cure then yes, need to weigh each piece to apply proper amount of cure mixture to each slab and then putting in to a Ziploc bag on their own. If doing such in Pop's brine then no. Mix as needed a put all chunks into a bucket that will hold them. At least that is how I understand it.

Agreed.

If you wet brine with Pops brine then it would not matter. Just make enough to cover it all.

No problem with my Pop's Brine! As long as it is covered and not floating n the top, exposing it to the open air; weigh down with a half-full ziploc bag or a heavy plate or similar item. Just add enough to immerse completely.

No problem with my Pop's Brine! As long as it is covered and not floating n the top, exposing it to the open air; weigh down with a half-full ziploc bag or a heavy plate or similar item. Just add enough to immerse completely.

Thank you! I’m searching but cannot find your brine recipe. Can you please share?

Does the amount/weight of the meat impact your recipe?

Thank you! I’m searching but cannot find your brine recipe. Can you please share?

Does the amount/weight of the meat impact your recipe?

Thanks again for the replies. I’ve been reading a lot about Pop’s brine.

Just to triple check, the brine recipe/ratios is not dependent on specific meat weight, correct? As long as the brine covers the meat fully, doesn’t matter if you are brining 1lb or 100lbs?

I previously used a dry cure on pork belly, and I really struggled with trimming the belly down to a specific weight so that I could measure out the dry rub/cure well. I’m thinking Pops wet brine is now the way to go - making my life easier with different sizes and weights.

Thanks again!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky