Pork Belly Grilled Cheese w/Pic

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jarjarchef

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 30, 2010
Central Florida
So, on a whim today I decided to make some breakfast for the little crew we have here today. I had some Texas Toast, Smoked Ale Braised Pork Belly and sliced cheddar cheese left from some past events. So there we have it. I was going to make Pork Belly Grilled Cheese for breakfast……..

So a little bit about the pork belly; I seasoned it with a simple SPOG with chili powder and turbinado sugar, smoked it in a MES30 for 2.5hrs at 240. I removed it from the smoker and placed in a pan with diced onion, ketchup and beer. Covered and cooked for another 3hrs till tender at 290 degrees. Removed the pork belly and allowed to chill before dicing into ½” cubes. I strained the onions out of the sauce and allowed the drippings to chill to skim the fat off. To make the sauce; in a sauté pan I reheated the onions and added a bit of BBQ sauce and the skimmed drippings and some apple cider vinegar (some acid to cut the richness of the pork belly), brought to a boil and set aside. In another large sauté pan I reheated the belly till it released the fat and started to crisp up, drained the excess fat and added the sauce.

The sandwich was buttered Texas toast with sliced cheddar cheese on both sides, spooned a bit of the sauced pork belly in the middle, closed the sandwich and placed a bit of weight on top to slightly press the sandwich till the cheese was fully melted.

Reactions: snorkelinggirl
Fabulous! Sounds and looks amazing. I love braised pork belly, and smoking it then braising is the best of all worlds. Thanks for a great post!

Happy Holidays!
Clarissa

Now we know why breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Good looking food.

Disco

Fabulous! Sounds and looks amazing. I love braised pork belly, and smoking it then braising is the best of all worlds. Thanks for a great post!

Happy Holidays!
Clarissa

Thank you. Yes it works very well. The only draw back is you seem to lose some of the smoke flavor into the liquid. So using both helps keep that smoky flavor. But it is such a tender piece of meat when done.

Oh my god that sounds like the most amazing breakfast ever! I haven't attempted to cook pork belly yet..

It was a very rich yummy breakfast. Don't be scared of the belly! Go for it!

Now we know why breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Good looking food.

Disco

I am normally not a breakfast fan, however 1 of those every now and then would not suck! I make a citrus and arugula salad with some of our breakfast Chef Tables. I think that would be a good pairing. The acid would help cut the richness of the belly.

Hello Chef.  Do you deliver??
icon_biggrin.gif
  Great lookin breakfast!  Keep Smokin!

Danny

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky