Pork back fat question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jkc64

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 7, 2011
Portland, TN.
Was in my local Food Lion today and noticed that they had two kinds of back fat. One stated salt cured(water and salt) the other was salt covered. If I can't find a source for plain back fat can this be used? Rinse or soak to remove the salt? It was all pretty white showing but looked like there might have been a dark edge on the bottom possibly the skin. Thanks for any advice you can pass my way.

Reactions: johnnyb54
Yes can be used for sausage. The salt on backfat is just preservation. Fat contains maximum 10% moisture so the salt should be mild. The interaction of salt on fat is different than meat which contains about 70% water. When using salted fat, treat it like another cured product in your sausage, like bacon. When figuring salt for the sausage meat, don’t add the weight of the fat because it’s already salted. Otherwise carry on and use the salted fat, and yes rinse it off before using.

If you have any local butcher shops around I would ask them. They will usually just give you some or charge a small fee. What type of sausage are you making. Other than that smokinedge has ya covered.

As Jim said, we get our’s from the meat dept. at Publix. They usually just give it away, if you are buying something else.
Al

If you have any local butcher shops around I would ask them. They will usually just give you some or charge a small fee. What type of sausage are you making. Other than that smokinedge has ya covered.
I wish we had a butcher shop in the area. No particular sausage in mind, I usually make summer sausage and trail bologna.
As Jim said, we get our’s from the meat dept. at Publix. They usually just give it away, if you are buying something else.
Al
So many stores don't offer that service that I didn't consider it. I work with a guy who's mother works in the meat dept. at a Publix, I'll get him to check. We have them in the area but they are not convenient.
I cure and smoke backfat...while the water content is low it gets salty. But soaking it should renove most salt. Or use as-is and account for salt in fat.
Guess that should have been my question, does fat absorb salt.

Thanks for the answers and ideas. I usually buy 10lb chubs of ground beef and use it for sausage but it is usually a fine grind. Thinking of picking up roasts and other whole muscle meat when on sale to course grind myself and will probably need to add some fat to it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky