Pork-a-palooza!! (It's a Pac. NW thing.....)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jirodriguez

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 5, 2009
Portland, OR
So after watching all the country style ribs posts decided to toss a few on myself..... and since the WSM has 2 racks I had to put something on the other rack..... and what goes better with pork, than MORE pork!
pig.gif
  So I tossed a 7 lb. pork butt on the bottom rack.

Fist the prep - the rub started with just some Bad Byrons Butt Rub and some brown sugar, then added some Old Bay, Allspice, Paprika, and Cayenne powder..... my motto on flavor - "Go big or go home!"

9851004b_IMG_1663.jpg

fed5a1eb_IMG_1664.jpg

OK... so a while back when Bear did his CSR's there was some discussion of the various differant types of CSR's from region to region. Here in the Pacific NW this is what CSR's look like - very similar to a sliced pork butt.... as you can see they look a lot alike.

b15520a2_IMG_1665.jpg

1dc94a8c_IMG_1666.jpg

OK... everybody gets dusted with some rub and into a 3 gallon ziploc for the night to get all happy and stuff.....
sausage.gif

CSR's go in first.......

8ba38a9e_IMG_1667.jpg

.... then the butt.

cc7a0a30_IMG_1668.jpg

Next morning the butt was first up to the sacraficial WSM alter.
77.gif

32d55073_IMG_1669.jpg

cb56de70_IMG_1670.jpg

Fast forward about 3 hrs. and it's time to put the CSR's on, they will be dinner tonight..... and a gratuity shot of the pork butt.

a72c3f36_IMG_1672.jpg

8a9943bb_IMG_1673.jpg

After about 2-1/2 hrs. decided to wrap the CSR's in some foil and also got another shot of the butt......

95058a4a_IMG_1674.jpg

66838b76_IMG_1675.jpg

(mmmmmmm..... now that is a "juicy" looking butt!)
yeahthat.gif

CSR's taken out of the foil after about 1-1/2 hrs, back on the rack, and time for a little sauce.
cheers.gif

595ca5d7_IMG_1676.jpg

.... let them go another hour with the sauce, then pulled them to rest for a bit..... minus the one that the dogs and I "tested"
biggrin.gif

d3450d6c_IMG_1677.jpg

33034e88_IMG_1679.jpg

..... and last, but not least the $$ shot! Plated up with some home mad mac and cheese and some steamed carrots in a butter sauce.
drool.gif

5ca052c7_IMG_1680.jpg

..... still waiting on the butt to finish up. Got it on around 10:30 this morning, its 7:00 now, and the WSM is chugging along at 220°, super steady. Figure another 3 or 4 hrs......
pot.gif

Nice smoke, looks like a real nice glaze there.  I agree that CSRs here in the NW are great. You get the flavor of pork butt in about half the time!

OK, OK.... not to toot my own horn (to much
biggrin.gif
)..... but this is the best dang butt I have ever done so far! I found that perfect balance between tenderness, moisture, and edible bark with lots of flavor. So I foiled at 160° like a lot of folks do, but I wanted some bark to, so when the internal temp got to 190° I pulled it back out of the foil and took the temp up to 250° in the smoking chamber. It immediatly dropped back to 185° internal temp., so I let it ride unwrapped for another 4 hrs. to 201° internal temp. The end result was spectacular..... and here are the pics!

dfd727c3_IMG_1682.jpg

76705712_IMG_1683.jpg

58f7beca_IMG_1686.jpg

7740cec0_IMG_1688.jpg

I don't know about you, but that last pic is just plain ol' pork overload!
sausage.gif
yahoo.gif
xrocker.gif

Looks like you're back in the game! That is one big bunch of beautiful Q there! 
77.gif
  Had to laugh at your post title - I used to call my summer rib-fests "Rib-a-pa-looza".  I'll be driving thru portland tomorrow,  I'll be sure to look for your TBS and wave!

Looks like you're back in the game! That is one big bunch of beautiful Q there! 
77.gif
  Had to laugh at your post title - I used to call my summer rib-fests "Rib-a-pa-looza".  I'll be driving thru portland tomorrow,  I'll be sure to look for your TBS and wave!
Just follow the smell of smoke!
biggrin.gif

When you get 1 exit south of Hwy 217 turn to your right and wave.... you will be really close to my work.... lol.

Thanks for all the good comments
biggrin.gif
..... I'm still burping pork the next morning.... lol.

Great job Johnny - I love the CSR's. Did about 5# last week and gonna use the leftovers in a stir fry tonite.

Wow what a great looking pork fest...That pulled pork is text book perfect. Those csr look mighty tasty also. The csr you get there look just like the ones cut here in the Midwest. Glad your doing well after all you have been through.
drool.gif

Thank you all! It really was some of the best pork I have been able to produce as of yet.... really hope I can duplicate the results down the road.... lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky