Porchetta

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigwayne

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
SF Bay area
So Costco had pork bellies for a good price when I was in there this week, so I grabbed one up to make a porchetta. Porchetta is pork belly wrapped around a pork loin or tenderloin, with garlic and seasoning in between and then roasted or smoked.

I had some pork tenderloin in the freezer already so I was set to go. Belly cut to size of the tenderloins:

belly2.jpg

Garlic, fennel fronds, thyme, rosemary ready to go. Also did some toasted fennel seeds and red pepper flakes and ground them up in a mortar. No fresh sage so I just used some out of a spice jar, and of course salt and pepper.

stuffing.jpg

Spices spread on the meat side of the belly:

laidout.jpg

I butterflied the tenderloins to get more surface against the spices and put them on top of the above setup. Then it all got rolled up and tied.

rolled.jpg

Popped into the smoker and pulled it when internal temp hit 155F. After a short rest, I put it under the broiler to crisp up the outside. Was outstanding. Having porchetta sandwiches on the boat tomorrow.

finished.jpg

Very nice job. I have seen these made and always with fennel. I grew up eating porchetta made in a small town, Eynon, east of Scranton PA. The interesting part was, all the local porchetta is stuffed, literally, with a mix of fresh bread crumbs, garlic, some egg to bind and the main flavoring herb...Dill! This gives a unique and delicious flavor. I looked for a recipe for exact proportions but ALL the recipes, I found, are made with Fennel. Not a single mention of Dill...JJ

Man does that look good. I'll have to remember this one for the next family sit down dinner.

Point for sure.

Chris.

Very nice job. I have seen these made and always with fennel. I grew up eating porchetta made in a small town, Eynon, east of Scranton PA. The interesting part was, all the local porchetta is stuffed, literally, with a mix of fresh bread crumbs, garlic, some egg to bind and the main flavoring herb...Dill! This gives a unique and delicious flavor. I looked for a recipe for exact proportions but ALL the recipes, I found, are made with Fennel. Not a single mention of Dill...JJ
Most likely in that area, Italian immigrants had trouble finding fennel and used dill as a substitute. Fennel grows wild in Italy, which is why it was used in the original dishes from central Italy.

There is a place near Scranton that offers the dill version along with sage and fennel options.

Most likely in that area, Italian immigrants had trouble finding fennel and used dill as a substitute. Fennel grows wild in Italy, which is why it was used in the original dishes from central Italy.

There is a place near Scranton that offers the dill version along with sage and fennel options.

Makes sense. Could have been a happy accident as well. Customers gave positive reviews and it stuck. May have also been the immigrants to that area came from an area of Italy that did things differently...JJ

I hate to say it, but I'm a little burned out on the Ribs, Butt, Chicken, Brisket thing. This looks like just what the Dr ordered!

"Like" and bookmarked :-)

That looks fantastic, I really need a place around here to find pork bellies. My buddy is begging me to try some porchetta. Looks great ! I like the Dill too.

It looks delicious .. I wish my sams or bjs around here had pork bellies.. but as soon as I find one I am going to steal your recipe.. great job...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky