• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Porcelain Wok Basket? Can you use them?

realtorterry

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
Alright guys I can smoke, but I'm not very capable of knowing my way around a garage, or metals, just plain not very handy. I just bought a wok basket to use as a charcoal basket for my new Brinkmann. I just realized it says porcelain coated. My question is, will this be able to handle the high heat. Will I need to pre burn this? Can I just go with it?

tjohnson

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Insider
Joined Dec 29, 2009
So, my best guess is it's "Made In China"....Correct?

These are the same people who use lead paint on kids toys.

If it's cheap enough, I would burn off the coating, or spend a few bucks more and get a stainless basket.

Todd

ak1

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 23, 2010
It may, or it may not. It all depends an how thick the porcelain coating is. Worst case, the high heat of the charcoal may cause the porcelain to crack & chip and expose bare metal. Either way you're good to go. There is no harm in using a porcelain coated basket. 

Alright guys I can smoke, but I'm not very capable of knowing my way around a garage, or metals, just plain not very handy. I just bought a wok basket to use as a charcoal basket for my new Brinkmann. I just realized it says porcelain coated. My question is, will this be able to handle the high heat. Will I need to pre burn this? Can I just go with it?

chef willie

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Dec 31, 2010
I would say no harm until it starts to chip..and then rust. Burn if off good with no food involved and see what happens

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Since you already bought it, either give it a shot, or like Todd say's take it back & get a stainless one.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.