Pop's lower salt brine for ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Got pork butt thawing. Thinking of trying the lower salt version but getting great results from regular. Has anyone used lower salt on ham? What about adding STPP?

Last edited:
Low salt version of pops brine is fine with pork butt ham.
But I you want to use STTP, I would recommend injecting vs a wet brine. I have a thread in my index on phosphate usage and butt ham.

Try an injection.... The recipe I used for the picnic ham would be the same for a pork butt..... I highly recommend using STPP... It keeps the meat moist... I recently did a pork loin also....

picnic
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/ham-from-fresh-picnics-update-10-21-money.236375/

loin
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...an-bacon-made-in-america-recipe-added.289869/

FWIW, There is another pork loin in the smoker as I type this... It was so awesome, I had to do another....

This what came up with for 8 lb bone in pork butt.

Capture.JPG

I am becoming salt sensitive. What about lowering salt? Do you just find a bag it will fit in?

Last edited:
Yes. Just as your notes in the calculator say "you may increase/decrease based on preference"
(Edit: You are ok to adjust salt or sugar as long as you don't adjust cure or STTP)
Yes. Whatever size bag will fit.
Good job on doing your math!

Last edited:
Not real sure what to lower salt to but guess best to start small. Working with one arm for now. I can maybe get away with holding injector enough with other hand to fill.

All of the injected hams I have done at 2% salt were spot-on were I felt it should be. Not too salty and not lacking in salt. Since I never messed with adjusting I cant tell you if 1% is where you should be for a "low-salt version", but that would be my guess. But If I were in your shoes, I would definitely use a sodium-free stock instead of water to help make up for the lack of salt in the injection.

As for the one-handedness... I'll say you are going to need a helper to give you a hand with the injecting. Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Last edited:
I never had problem with salt before in my the last year or so things starting to taste salty. I did a whole chicken with this method few months ago and so salty had to toss. Think it might of been enhanced.

Ended up doing 1.80 on salt since stock had salt. Was a bit of a challenge with 1 arm but did the best I could. It will be 11 days before get it smoked. I usually soak cured meats in water for 1 hour to lighten up the salt.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky