• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Pops' Brine is NOT designed around achieving 156ppm. 156ppm is desired for Sausage like Kielbasa, a Ground Meat product. While 156ppm is also suitable for Whole Muscle, where Clostridium Botulinum is of less concern, USDA has determine a Range of Nitrite Concentration is effective to Color the meat, give the desired Flavor and provide a level of Bacterial Protection. According to the Meat Inspectors Handbook, as low as 40ppm will give the desired Pink Color and Cured Flavor, but offers little to no CB Protection. To that end, 80ppm to 200ppm is the typical Effective range acceptable for Whole Muscle.
Pops Brine was designed by his Father then Tested and Verified Effective by the USDA/FSIS.
So, Yes, determining the proper amount of Cure based on the Weight of the Meat Plus the Weight of Water and other Ingredients, used to achieve 120ppm for Belly Bacon or 156ppm, as is common for Whole Muscle but INTENDED for Sausage, is great tool to achieve Cured Meat. Pops Brine is just another Approved but different metbod of achieving the same result Easily and No Math, that can be intimidating to the Newbie wanting to get into Curing Whole Muscle. As long as the amount of meat being Cured is SWIMMING, and not so much meat that a Gallon of Pops Brine, is merely Wetting or Marinating the meat, following Pops instructions will yield a tasty and Safe Result.
Now, because Long Soaks, 14 days plus, in any Curing Brine can result in Ropy Brine or Spoiled Brine from Salt/Cure tolerant Bacteria, Injecting any meat thicker than 2 inches is a good idea.
You guys have all made Valid Points and can be commended. Just understand there is more than one Type or Curing Brine, hence both adding Cure By Weight and Pops' Brine work, although differently...JJ

Reactions: zwiller and tropics
You guys have all made Valid Points and can be commended. Just understand there is more than one Type or Curing Brine, hence both adding Cure By Weight and Pops' Brine work although different...JJ
The bottom line for me is, Pop's Brine works and I recommend it often. My only suggestion has been to make a couple of small batches to experiment with salt and sugar amounts as well as time.... then figure out if any aromatics or seasonings are needed for certain things.

I was not trying to negate the 'universal curing brine' status that Pop's Brine has. In fact when I first came across it I was an infrequent visitor to the forum and Pops had a couple of write-ups about his Father's meat market, and how the State of NY had run the numbers and gave it (as well as the technique) their blessing. What was unique for me was using slightly above the minimum amount of Cure #1, and adding injection and time into the equation. This was a new concept for me. Especially since some of the Charcuterie authors coming on the scene were notorious for being heavy handed or downright careless.

For years I have experimented with low salt (or lite) flavor brines and curing brines as well as lower salt dry cures. It put them on the low end of equilibrium curing, so additional time was no problem at all, in fact in some cases a few more days improved the flavor as I use some signature seasonings when curing various meats.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I didn't think you were trying to Negate Pops Brine at all.😊 I was just clarifying, for anyone reading the thread, that there are multiple Cure Brining methods that work and provide a little info as to Why. All good stuff here.👍...JJ

Reactions: thirdeye
An old but Great Thread on Salt, Iodized vs, Kosher vs Table Salt, etc...JJ

I started out using Pops brine because it was so easy to use, but found that our family & friends like a dry cure better. We think the texture & taste of the meat is better, but then everybody has their own taste’s.
Al

Tried Pop's a few years back and preferred the dry. However, want to try again after more experience. So simple, like me. Dropped in a few pork loins for Canadian Bacon and a couple pounds of pork belly for bacon. Check back in a few weeks.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Well folks I made a mistake and ordered fresh side pork instead of cured bacon for our whole hog order this year. Do y’all think this brine would work for sliced side pork? Maybe 7-10 days in the refrigerator?

Edit: any other suggestions for this stuff is greatly appreciated.

Personally, I'd dry cure by the weight of the belly using cure#1 @ 0.25% , salt at 1.5%, and sugar @ 0.75%. Mix all the ingredients, apply as a rub equally to all sides and cure for about 2 weeks.

Personally, I'd dry cure by the weight of the belly using cure#1 @ 0.25% , salt at 1.5%, and sugar @ 0.75%. Mix all the ingredients, apply as a rub equally to all sides and cure for about 2 weeks.
I’ve got a whole pigs worth. I’ll definitely try both. Thank you for the ratios.
I’ve never cured nuthin’ but a thirst 😉
This should be relatively easy. I’m eager to try some different rub and brine mixtures.

Reactions: DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky