"Pop's Cure" for turkey breast roast?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

one eyed jack

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 11, 2014
Coastal NC
I live alone and so decided as a first try I would go with a small turkey breast roast.

It's a 3 LB piece and not solid. It's tied up in a net and has one obvious fold in the piece. (The netted piece measures 4 inches by 7 inches).

I left it in the net, Injected as best I could with Pop's wet cure / brine, put it in a gallon baggy and covered with brine. The piece is solid enough that it did inflate with the injection and held the injection. (It didn't just run or squirt out).

My question is how long to keep it in the cure before smoking? I intend to smoke at around 180* to 200* to an internal of 160*.

Thoughts and advice?

Thanks, John

I just injected a chicken with pops brine and bunch of other stuff. It's in the gallon of liquid right now and I will take it out 18 hours after I put it in.
This brine will only be for flavor so it will just be a normal smoked chicken.. To 165 /170 internal

Thanks for your response Johnny. Did you use any cure in your brine? I am wanting to slow smoke for flavor and so used the cure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky