Pops Breakfast sausage / Breakfast for supper

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
@bdskelly thanks for the post that got me to try this! @pops6927 thanks for the awesome spice mix recipe. I had about 4.5 lbs. of already ground pork I needed to use up so this is shortcut sausage but delicious nonetheless.

spice mix.jpg

Mixed up a batch of Pops breakfast sausage spice mix with a little extra pepper flakes.
  • 1/2 cup salt - I used coarse kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup course black pepper
  • 1/2 cup sage - I used rubbed sage
  • 3 TBLS red pepper Flakes - I boosted this to 4 1/2 TBLS
raw sausage mixed.jpg

Spices mixed into about 4.5 lbs. of ground pork. It is very lean so my wife will actually eat it LOL. After a couple test fries I actually used about 2 TBSP's per lbs. Perhaps because it is so lean and virtually nothing cooks away it took a little extra spice.
sausage balls.jpg

Portioned out into 1/4 lbs. balls getting ready to patty up.
patties.jpg

Patties made up , not perfect but decent job with our little Pampered Chef patty tool. Three lbs. will go to the freezer and the rest left out to eat today / tomorrow.
plated 1.jpg

Made a plate for my wife. Mine has at least double this in portions lol. Cheese omelet with cheddar and roasted red peppers, the fresh sausage patty and a keto Birchbenders low carb pancake with butter and sugar free maple syrup. First time we tried these, they are AMAZING!!

We rarely eat breakfast so this was a real treat. Now that I have dipped my toe into the sausage making waters I am going to move on up to making some brats in the next couple weeks.

Thanks for looking.
Jeff

So was this loin pork or say butt pork? Also; fresh or did it have #1 mixed in? I feel like my breakfast sausage never tastes right fresh

So was this loin pork or say butt pork? Also; fresh or did it have #1 mixed in? I feel like my breakfast sausage never tastes right fresh
This was some store ground fresh pork I had around. Based on how lean it is I would guess it to be ground loin perhaps. I did this fresh no cure. I did double up the spice per lbs. It came out fantastic.

Reactions: fivetricks
Looks good Jcam . Just made 5 lbs myself . Pre mix hot pork sausage . Gonna try Pop's soon .

Reactions: jcam222
This was some store ground fresh pork I had around. Based on how lean it is I would guess it to be ground loin perhaps. I did this fresh no cure. I did double up the spice per lbs. It came out fantastic.

Good for you. My last cheater sausage (store bought ground pork) was a dud!

Looks awesome!

P.s. - I like reading how you adapt your delicious looking meals to be keto friendly! I haven't tried keto, but have been on and off the paleo wagon now and then - it's inspiring to see others still cook the foods they like, just a bit healthier.

Nice job Jeff!
You'll be making all kinds of sausage now!
It's fun to make & sure tastes better than store bought!
Al

Regarding the sage, red pepper, and black pepper -- doubling the spice to be able to taste it -- the flavoroides are fat-soluable. The leaner the meat, the more spices it will take to taste it in the mix.

the same will go for many / most herbs -- the science behind "fat = flavor".

In the long run, health reasons, it will always boil back down to quantity, smaller portions of real food, rather than additions and substitutions.

F6A4AE51-334D-4502-9578-C47FFD3A8210.jpeg
0EBD6FC4-4EC2-4B1C-AE84-A814BA9C23B3.jpeg
Good for you. My last cheater sausage (store bought ground pork) was a dud!
This sausage is addictive lol. I decided to try another batch today. Today is fresh grind fattier blend. Did about 4.5 lbs. I still used extra spice but man it came out great! Texture and flavor far better than the lean store grind. You can see a much better amount of fat in these today. I’ll do another 20 lbs soon as I enjoy fixing food to friends and family as well.

Reactions: fivetricks
this all looks great... It's nice to see you made Pop's seasoning to fit your taste.. as Pop's is quite a bit different than what you posted ...

this all looks great... It's nice to see you made Pop's seasoning to fit your taste.. as Pop's is quite a bit different than what you posted ...
Is it? I thought I copied it from a recent post that referenced it was Pops but reading closer it says a derivative of Pops.Yes and now I’ve adjusted the derivative to yet another derivative :). That said now I am going to have to try Pops exact blend too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky