Pop vs. Soda vs. Coke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Growing up in Temple , Texas , I always called it Soda Water , and when asked - the flavor I wanted.......
confused.gif
 It's just what everyone called it...

Harley?

My guess would be that those larger bottles of Pepsi or RC were 12 oz?

Pepsi and RC competed on price and size cause Coke basically owned the market.

I remember when Coke first came out with the 12 oz bottle.  We thought it was too much to drink at one time, so we would share it with someone. 

Don't be getting any ideas about my beer, now!

We would take our red wagons and scrounge up the bottles all afternoon for two cents each.  The local park was a gold mine, cause the tourists who stopped for lunch would just throw the bottles in the trash barrels. (yes, many people on the road then took their own lunch with them.  Restaurant meals would cost you a dollar!) Then the guy at the grocery store would give us the third degree when we tried to sell them to him?  He suspected we went to his shed out back and were trying to sell him back his own bottles.  Maybe it could have been because his son was one of us?

Great memories from over 50 years ago!  What a great time to grow up in America!

Good luck and good smoking.
I'm sure in the late 70's the Pepsi bottles were 16 oz. My grandma always bought the little Coke bottles, I'm guessing they were around 7-8 ounces. But as a kid going to her house and having the little bottle was neat. I guess it's what Budweiser is trying to do with the small beer cans now, except it is not as cool for me now as 2 drinks and its gone lol.

Around here in southern Ohio it's POP.

After the wife and I were first married we lived in Arkansas for several years and ran into the same "coke.... what kind of coke?" culture shock.

I quickly learned that asking for a Coca Cola usually simplified the process, but not always!

When I was about 15 we took a vacation, from Ohio, to the east coast.

When you ordered a "pop" up around Bar Harbor, I mean BAAaaaaaaah  HAAaaaaaaBAAaaaaaaah, they look at you like you are some kind of retarded backwards inbred hick. Nothing quite like a snooty waitress in a $2.00 roadside diner! BTW don't even think about asking for grits........
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky