POP = Plenty of Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GrumpyGriller

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 29, 2021
It's been a while, so I decided a couple of weeks ago to get a full packer and start some pastrami. It was brined for 12 days, flipped each day. patted dry, then generously rubbed with some fresh ground and toasted mustard seed/black peppercorns/coriander, paprika, brown sugar, and no salt as there was plenty in the brine. It sat in the fridge tightly wrapped for about 24 hours, then smoked.

I smoked at 225 for about 6 hours, then ramped up to 275 for a total of about 11 hours for the point, and 12 hours in total for the flat. Pics of start-to-finish attached :) Yummy!
1671417553137.png 1671417583780.png 1671417619871.png 1671417645186.png 1671417671874.png 1671417686500.png

Looks perfect. We love Pastrami, but it's hit or miss when I make one. Great work. Now I'm hungry too, lol.

Reactions: GrumpyGriller
Looks incredible I am going to have to try this. Just wish I had a meat slicer I bet that would make some incredible sandwiches! do you have the brine recipe, and is it the standard rub before smoking?

Last edited:
Reactions: GrumpyGriller
Looks incredible I am going to have to try this. Just wish I had a meat slicer I bet that would make some incredible sandwiches! do you have the brine recipe, and is it the standard rub before smoking?
My brine is pretty simple - obviously this needs to be adjusted based on weight. In my case, I doubled everything since I was doing the flat and the point and the two pieces weight about 10 lbs.

Based on a 5 pound brisket flat, 1.5 inches thick

CORNED BEEF BRINE
  • 2 quarts water
  • 1 quart apple juice
  • 1 ½ cups coarse kosher or sea salt (I used sea salt this time)
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 3 teaspoons pink curing salt #1
  • 4 Tablespoons pickling spice (more or less to suit to taste)

For the rub, I used - again, based on 5lbs, so nearly tripled this as I wanted a really solid crust :) -and I first toasted the peppercorns/coriander/whole mustard seeds, then used a spice grinder to crush them to a semi-coarse consistency.
  • 2 Tablespoons black peppercorns
  • 2 Tablespoons coriander seeds
  • 1 Tablespoon whole mustard seeds
  • 2 Tablespoons coarse kosher or sea salt - I omitted this salt because I had plenty in the brine, but you can keep some or all to suit to taste
  • 2 Tablespoons smoked paprika
  • 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon garlic powder

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky