Poor Man Smoker Controller

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
I just bought my smoker, have a few cooks on it, and don't have the control I want. The smoker cost about $250 and I am trying to not turn it into a $750 smoker.

I want to do a mod to give me better temperature control. I have looked at this post PID Controller, and for my network it would require me to spend over $250 for the PID. I have a mesh network and only a few Auber controllers will work, the expensive ones.

So, I was wondering if anyone has tried to control the temperature with one of these controllers.

This one is 12V at 10amp and would easily manage the same Solenoid.

I have used devices in the past to control the fermentation temperature of beer in a freezer fermenter. They work well, maybe not as well as the Auber, but a low cost of entry.

Any comments would be appreciated.

FWIW, your smoker is more likely required 120VAC 15A input power. That PID is nowhere near capable of doing the job.
A no frill Auber is just about $150, plug and play ready.

FWIW, your smoker is more likely required 120VAC 15A input power. That PID is nowhere near capable of doing the job.
A no frill Auber is just about $150, plug and play ready.
Well, its propane and I will buy the solenoid to supply the propane. There is currently no electronics associated with the smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky