Plywood smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

randy k

Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
Hi guy's I've thinking about making a plywood smoker and was wondering if those of you who have one have any suggestions.

What I'm planning to make would be about 16" W 20" deep, and 78" tall. I'm planning on smoking sausages in this primarily, but who knows. What kinds of temperatures are you guy's getting? (unlined) I'm only planning on lining the fire box.

Since getting my Master built pro in August, I've been smoking something every couple of days, trying to learn smoking, and the smoker. This is what I learned the Master built is a very good smoker (with modifications) but it's pretty small. The effective smoking area is only about 10" in height.

Thanks

Randy

Last edited:
The temps are going to determined by what you are using for heat. Just a suggestion for figuring out what size would be to locate some type of grates. Oven or grill grates etc. You can build your own but if you can find some already made at reasonable price you may be ahead. Dowels for hanging sausage can be cut any length. Just my $.02 worth.

Woodcutter, thanks for the reply. I'm planning on using propane something very similar to the Northern tools model...
photo.jpg

As for grates I already bought a 5 tier shelf system from Amazon... 
81uq3uWGntL._SL1500_.jpg
 It measures 14" X 36", and can support #350/ per shelf. I'm planning on cutting them in half (14" X 18").

For dowels I turned a bunch of white oak dowels.

I also bought 18 ga. stainless steel sheet so I can line the fire box area (I'm thinking about using stand-offs so it's not in direct contact with the plywood).

Thanks for you input, as your absolutely right the grates was my first find. I know a bunch of guys have wood smoke houses, and wanted to get an idea for what kink of heat they're getting.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will have plenty of heat with that burner. A lot of members have down sized the needle valve to get lower temps. I'm sure someone can point you in right direction.

Randy, Pops6927 that posted the pics of the Burner and Smoke House on that Northern site is our own SMF Super Moderator. Shoot him a PM and he will be happy to give you info...JJ

BTW...We are currently prohibited from posting outside links so I will change your links to Pics of the equipment you plan to use...

I just ordered this one, 

for a couple of reasons, one the controls are long enough to reach outside the firebox, and one reviewer says the low (smaller ring) is low enough to just keep food warm. Just what the doctor ordered (I hope).

I'll just have to wait to see what I get then go from there. The thing is huge though, but I don't intend on making the bottom hole any bigger the I absolutely have too say 5"

Check it out, and let me know what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky