Please reel me in on Lang or Shirley - big or small stick burner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bigpappa1

Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
Hi All,

I'm as stuck as the next guy on how big of a smoker to get. As everyone probably feels, my situation may be unique. I'm saving my money for a late summer/fall purchase. I can manage to save a couple hundred per month starting in March, so kind of do the math from there. I was looking at the Lang 36" or the Shirley 24x36.

Pros of the Lang 36" - It would probably do everything I need and...it's a Lang, so...

Cons of the Lang 36" - I really want the 36" deluxe with the warmer box and the modification to get heat directly from the firebox to the warmer box so I can use it for different kinds of cooks. That, or I would really want the 48" just to feel like I will always have the size I want.

Here is the issue with the cons: I do need to fit it in my garage and with two small boys, I already am getting run out of our two-stall. Also, it's just me and my wife and our two kids (maybe a third sometime). The fact is, most of the time when I cook I'm doing a brisket OR some ribs OR a pork butt. On a 36" I can cook plenty of those combinations all day long, WAY more food than our little family would need. 99% of the time, this is all I do. Yet, I still find myself wanting the bigger one. I keep thinking "oh, maybe I'll be able to cook for some event or some friends or something like that". Yeah, because with two kids under 2 years old I have all kinds of time for that right now. It could easily be years before I have the kind of free time and attention it would take to actually expand my cooking into doing it for others. Yet I hear everyone's advice about buying too small...

On to the Shirley...

Pros: Lots of cooking space in a relatively small footprint, and you do seem to get a lot for the money. Plus...it's a Shirley, so...

Cons: Really there's just one: I'd have to wait until about November before I could order it, and I REALLY wanted to order sooner. Also, I suspect shipping will be more expensive and arduous as they aren't the most shipping-friendly, not as much or as experienced and Lang seems to be anyway.

I admit that I feel a strange calling towards the Lang over the Shirley for some reason.

My point is, I don't need more smoker than I need, but I want to feel satisfied also. I have looked at guys like Bell Fab and his units are certainly awesome, but I'm going to be pretty picky on the weld quality and looks, which is why I'm playing in the price range that I am. I CAN wait, I just don't want to wait unnecessarily if 98% of the time what's going to be on my smoker is two racks of ribs (or one, honestly) and a few chicken quarters. We all want to impress for that one big cook per year, but hell I managed to do that with an 18" WSM, two 22" Weber kettles, and a good faux cambro.

And yet...I want the size that I probably don't need...

Can somebody help screw my head on straight?

As someone in a fairly similar family size, my recommendation is to get what makes you happy, especially if you can afford to get them by the end of the year.

The good thing about what you are looking at is it COULD entice you to start putting on more of a bbq show every couple of months or even once a month. You also for instance trading your current smoker(s) for the new one, so you can always do your small ones and then when you have a big event, bust out the showpiece.

Reactions: Bigpappa1
Was going to suggest Bellfab, but saw in the bottom of your post you already considered them.

Out of curiosity (and not to sidetrack you post), was there something you've seen from his pictures that has caused you to lean away from him? I'm not trying to persuade you to get one, I'm more interested in knowing because I myself was considering one from him. Just spoke with him today actually to get some ideas of price and timeline should I pull the trigger.

Hi Electric,

His quality and value are easily off the charts. I don't think that I have seen a better bang for the buck on the market anywhere. The guy uses 3/8" steel standard. I have checked with several people who have his units and they simply love them. I want to make sure that I tell you all that as my hesitance is NOT one of quality or value. The thing that I have seen in pictures of his stuff that holds me back are the welding on the corners - while solid - is not as tidy and pretty as I might like. It's totally solid and functional, I am just looking for a unit that has a bit more cosmetic polish to it.

Again, I have personally spoke with his users and they love it, hands-down. I don't think anyone can hold a candle to his value and authenticated fan base.

As someone in a fairly similar family size, my recommendation is to get what makes you happy, especially if you can afford to get them by the end of the year.

The good thing about what you are looking at is it COULD entice you to start putting on more of a bbq show every couple of months or even once a month. You also for instance trading your current smoker(s) for the new one, so you can always do your small ones and then when you have a big event, bust out the showpiece.
I had thought about that, though I'm back to how much time I will really have (plus putting on those deals gets expensive). At the same time, I know I will do it sooner or later. You make a point about calling it good enough if I can get it by year-end...

Hi Electric,

His quality and value are easily off the charts. I don't think that I have seen a better bang for the buck on the market anywhere. The guy uses 3/8" steel standard. I have checked with several people who have his units and they simply love them. I want to make sure that I tell you all that as my hesitance is NOT one of quality or value. The thing that I have seen in pictures of his stuff that holds me back are the welding on the corners - while solid - is not as tidy and pretty as I might like. It's totally solid and functional, I am just looking for a unit that has a bit more cosmetic polish to it.

Again, I have personally spoke with his users and they love it, hands-down. I don't think anyone can hold a candle to his value and authenticated fan base.

That's understandable, and I can appreciate that. Thank you for your honesty! I hope you get a smoker that meets all your wants/needs!

As for size, I am with you there. When talking with him, it didn't take much to convince me to buy bigger than what I thought now and grow into it. Even if I never do haha

Hi All,

I'm as stuck as the next guy on how big of a smoker to get. As everyone probably feels, my situation may be unique. I'm saving my money for a late summer/fall purchase. I can manage to save a couple hundred per month starting in March, so kind of do the math from there. I was looking at the Lang 36" or the Shirley 24x36.

Pros of the Lang 36" - It would probably do everything I need and...it's a Lang, so...

Cons of the Lang 36" - I really want the 36" deluxe with the warmer box and the modification to get heat directly from the firebox to the warmer box so I can use it for different kinds of cooks. That, or I would really want the 48" just to feel like I will always have the size I want.

Here is the issue with the cons: I do need to fit it in my garage and with two small boys, I already am getting run out of our two-stall. Also, it's just me and my wife and our two kids (maybe a third sometime). The fact is, most of the time when I cook I'm doing a brisket OR some ribs OR a pork butt. On a 36" I can cook plenty of those combinations all day long, WAY more food than our little family would need. 99% of the time, this is all I do. Yet, I still find myself wanting the bigger one. I keep thinking "oh, maybe I'll be able to cook for some event or some friends or something like that". Yeah, because with two kids under 2 years old I have all kinds of time for that right now. It could easily be years before I have the kind of free time and attention it would take to actually expand my cooking into doing it for others. Yet I hear everyone's advice about buying too small...

On to the Shirley...

Pros: Lots of cooking space in a relatively small footprint, and you do seem to get a lot for the money. Plus...it's a Shirley, so...

Cons: Really there's just one: I'd have to wait until about November before I could order it, and I REALLY wanted to order sooner. Also, I suspect shipping will be more expensive and arduous as they aren't the most shipping-friendly, not as much or as experienced and Lang seems to be anyway.

I admit that I feel a strange calling towards the Lang over the Shirley for some reason.

My point is, I don't need more smoker than I need, but I want to feel satisfied also. I have looked at guys like Bell Fab and his units are certainly awesome, but I'm going to be pretty picky on the weld quality and looks, which is why I'm playing in the price range that I am. I CAN wait, I just don't want to wait unnecessarily if 98% of the time what's going to be on my smoker is two racks of ribs (or one, honestly) and a few chicken quarters. We all want to impress for that one big cook per year, but hell I managed to do that with an 18" WSM, two 22" Weber kettles, and a good faux cambro.

And yet...I want the size that I probably don't need...

Can somebody help screw my head on straight?
I think in so many words you have answered your own question. Shirley has only one con which is waiting longer. Waiting is not an issue for you. Decisions made :)

Reactions: Bigpappa1
I think in so many words you have answered your own question. Shirley has only one con which is waiting longer. Waiting is not an issue for you. Decisions made :)
Is Shirley that good? I hear so much about their quality but I think I know less about their functionality. They sure look well made...

Is Shirley that good? I hear so much about their quality but I think I know less about their functionality. They sure look well made...
Honestly don’t know. I was simplying going off your pro and con list. I tell you the one that has a cult like following and that’s the Jambo.

I can't speak about the Shirley but I know about that Lang. I have a Lang 36 Hybrid Deluxe with the option to get heat into the warmer either through the cook chamber or directly from the firebox into the warmer box (in the bottom of the warmer). When I was looking wasn't really looking for the warmer box but I found a deal that was too good to pass up. Now I wouldn't want to do without it. It's nice to have that extra space and have the option to have it as a cook chamber or a warmer. My Lang is well designed and well built and is great to cook on.

Reactions: jcam222
I can't speak about the Shirley but I know about that Lang. I have a Lang 36 Hybrid Deluxe with the option to get heat into the warmer either through the cook chamber or directly from the firebox into the warmer box (in the bottom of the warmer). When I was looking wasn't really looking for the warmer box but I found a deal that was too good to pass up. Now I wouldn't want to do without it. It's nice to have that extra space and have the option to have it as a cook chamber or a warmer. My Lang is well designed and well built and is great to cook on.
Yeah, that warmer box. Let me ask, how hot can you get that? It’s really only worth it to me if I can run the main chamber at 250 or so and run the box at chicken temps, say 350-400. Can you do that?

Ok I'm going to start by saying I'm a Lang guy to the end.i have owned 2 36 and 48 about to buy a third. Hybrid 36 D The 36 is plenty big for all your needs. When I went to the 48 it was a definite size increase and I cooked for over 100 ppl and didn't fill the 48. It was more than I needed. Spend your money on deluxe 36 over standard 48 because you will add versitility to your cooker.
There is nothing wrong with Shirley and they make a great smoker, but I love a Lang smoker cooker and they are really easy to resell if you need to up grade or something. They are built to last a lifetime and a joy to cook with Everytime!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Both Lang and Shirley both very good choices. I don’t have either but I incorporated many of the good things from both into my copper pot build and even my X-Fire build.

Here is my copper pot. It has a 3/8” fire box and it has the gate from the HCC to the VCC as well as from the fire box just like the Shirley’s. This is an awesome additional functionality. The VCC is much more stable and controllable to temp than the HCC
9CE08C53-33A7-4023-8B91-8F7270387314.jpeg

The inside of my fire box is also similar to Shirley ‘s new fire box. It has an open bottom and front and the sides and back is solid. It actually creates a air gap (insulated) around the actual fire and helps with efficiency.
19AC54A1-C334-4E98-933C-612107A69FBF.jpeg

The door construction on my VCC I used are also matched to Shirley.

So I can’t speak directly to how a Shirley cooks but I can say the design features he and his son have work extremely well!

this is just me, but if money or time wasn’t an issue (and if I didn’t build my own) a Shirley would be on the top of my list, then the Lang. If money and time was an issue a lang makes it easy! ....... I would be happy with either! But having the warming box with the direct fire box gate would be a must for me with either! Adding this functionality to the copper more than doubled the construction effort and it was worth it IMOP!

Good luck, with the choice because in the end it’s yours to make!

Last edited:
Reactions: sawhorseray
Yeah, that warmer box. Let me ask, how hot can you get that? It’s really only worth it to me if I can run the main chamber at 250 or so and run the box at chicken temps, say 350-400. Can you do that?

this may seem backwards but if you want 2 temps as above, the HCC can run at 350 and your VCC will run about 75 degree less or equal to just above the HCC with everything wide open.

I haven't tried getting my temps that high but I assume you could. My warmer has 2 baffles that allow you to open up directly from the firebox to the warmer. There's also a removable steel plate that sits in the bottom of the warmer. So you can run it with the baffles open and plate in or with the plate out. With the baffles open and the plate out you're directly over the fire which would get pretty warm. I have the hybrid so when I want to cook up in the 400 degree range I use the chargrill side.

Again I don't know anything about the Shirley smoker but I haven't heard anyone who owns a Lang cooker say anything other than they love it.

I haven't tried getting my temps that high but I assume you could. My warmer has 2 baffles that allow you to open up directly from the firebox to the warmer. There's also a removable steel plate that sits in the bottom of the warmer. So you can run it with the baffles open and plate in or with the plate out. With the baffles open and the plate out you're directly over the fire which would get pretty warm. I have the hybrid so when I want to cook up in the 400 degree range I use the chargrill side.

Again I don't know anything about the Shirley smoker but I haven't heard anyone who owns a Lang cooker say anything other than they love it.
That starts to seem more attractive. With the option of the damper from the firebox that puts the cooker at the same price as the Shirley, but it gives me another level of functionality. It really starts to seem like the difference between the two is a very slight edge to Shirley for better finish. Does that mean that Lang has not so good of fit and finish???

Reactions: jcam222
Both Lang and Shirley both very good choices. I don’t have either but I incorporated many of the good things from both into my copper pot build and even my X-Fire build.

Here is my copper pot. It has a 3/8” fire box and it has the gate from the HCC to the VCC as well as from the fire box just like the Shirley’s. This is an awesome additional functionality. The VCC is much more stable and controllable to temp than the HCC
View attachment 428693

The inside of my fire box is also similar to Shirley ‘s new fire box. It has an open bottom and front and the sides and back is solid. It actually creates a air gap (insulated) around the actual fire and helps with efficiency.
View attachment 428694

The door construction on my VCC I used are also matched to Shirley.

So I can’t speak directly to how a Shirley cooks but I can say the design features he and his son have work extremely well!

this is just me, but if money or time wasn’t an issue (and if I didn’t build my own) a Shirley would be on the top of my list, then the Lang. If money and time was an issue a lang makes it easy! ....... I would be happy with either! But having the warming box with the direct fire box gate would be a must for me with either! Adding this functionality to the copper more than doubled the construction effort and it was worth it IMOP!

Good luck, with the choice because in the end it’s yours to make!
That’s a really cool looking unit! Nice work!
Ok I'm going to start by saying I'm a Lang guy to the end.i have owned 2 36 and 48 about to buy a third. Hybrid 36 D The 36 is plenty big for all your needs. When I went to the 48 it was a definite size increase and I cooked for over 100 ppl and didn't fill the 48. It was more than I needed. Spend your money on deluxe 36 over standard 48 because you will add versitility to your cooker.
There is nothing wrong with Shirley and they make a great smoker, but I love a Lang smoker cooker and they are really easy to resell if you need to up grade or something. They are built to last a lifetime and a joy to cook with Everytime!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)
thank you for the info. Do you feel like the fit and finish on Lang is top shelf? I have trouble seeing one in person without driving 14 hours to Georgia...

Reactions: civilsmoker
That starts to seem more attractive. With the option of the damper from the firebox that puts the cooker at the same price as the Shirley, but it gives me another level of functionality. It really starts to seem like the difference between the two is a very slight edge to Shirley for better finish. Does that mean that Lang has not so good of fit and finish???
I am assuming that by "fit and finish" you mean the quality of the workmanship? If that is the case I have no issues at all with the Lang. I've occasionally read where people started looking and found things like a small hole in the weld on the very bottom of the cooker....and they took off on Lang quality. Ends up it's there by design in case water gets down into that bottom area that's otherwise somewhat sealed off. The "defect" was on purpose and is on all their cookers apparently. No complaints about quality or performance.

That’s a really cool looking unit! Nice work!

thank you for the info. Do you feel like the fit and finish on Lang is top shelf? I have trouble seeing one in person without driving 14 hours to Georgia...
I read a few months ago where Lang was going to start selling through distributors.

Not sure of the status of this but it might be worth checking if you wanted to get a first hand look. Otherwise if you can find someone here who owns one close to you that might work. I think there's a Lang owners group on Facebook...I think....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky